Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Preservation of leather scabbard- what to use ?

Article about: the renaissance wax is great stuff, I also got some of the the rust neutralizer too, you can rub the rust off with your fingers, I even put some of the wax on some of my bayonets after getti

?

Default Preservation of leather scabbard- what to use ?

In my small collection, I have a few bayonets with leather scabbards. They are from WW1 or before, and I am worried about them drying out. Is there any thing which I could apply which would preserve the leather, I know that once the leather is dried out it is a done deal.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Preservation of leather scabbard- what to use ?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Preservation of leather scabbard- what to use ?

Vaseline and iboprofyl alcohol, the best mix fifty-fifty. After applying very good spread to it, then remove the rest with the same non dissoved alcohol, and keep dry
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

I would always go for a proper leather dressing, steer clear of saddle soaps, neatsfoot oil etc, as used on horses tack and harness, these tend to revive the leather with no problem at all, however the downside is that these products will turn a natural tan coloured hide it jet black. On such thing as M1 and M1916 pattern Colt leather holsters I've always used a light covering of "Liberon Leather Cream" on the surface, and for very stiff almost cracking leather I've used always used a product called "Mars Oil" but be very careful as this again will turn the skin side of the hide black and so should be applied sparingly to the flesh side only.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Dimas,what is this iboprofyl alcohol??I'm googling it but i cant find answers.Did you write it well?
    I have found a set of ww2 snowshoes but the leather that holds the foot is dried and have some white fungus.Can i clean and softened with something?

George

I think it may be isopropyl.

Cheers, Ade.

Georg, this stuff is the best, i use it on everything (steel helmets, Pickelhaubes etc etc..), it is available on E-Bay or the web... ' Renaissance Wax ' ........

' Specified throughout the world by museums, art galleries and restorers. Also now widely used as a wax wall finish. It will gently lift the grime of antiquity and old murky polishes leaving a translucent finish without obscuring surface detail and allowing the wood or substrate to catch the light and glow. It will protect furniture from spillages, including wine and will even enhance the weather resistance of metal, marble and wood used outside. Will also preserve the lustre on gilding.

More About Renaissance Wax

Renaissance Wax was originally formulated in the British Museum research laboratories in the 1950's in response to a discussion amongst museum technicians at an international conference on fine-art conservation. Beeswax and carnauba waxes contain acids which in time can spoil finishes on historic furniture. Renaissance Wax is pH neutral. Over the years many uses of Renaissance wax have been discovered. Here are some of them.

Protecting Statues and Monuments
    The wax is highly moisture resistant and countless monuments in City Streets are protected by Renaissance wax from the effects of weathering corrosion.

Arms and Armour and Historic Kitchen Equipment.
    Steel, brass and copper are kept bright and corrosion free in many historic houses.

Photos and Paper
    The wax is pH neutral and can be used to protect photos and paper from the effects of handling. The wax will not darken or stain even white paper!

Furniture
    The wax will delicately enhance French polished surfaces and can even be applied directly to sanded unsealed timber.

Tools
    Steel tools can be protected from rust.

Leather and Shoes
    Shoes of all colours are protected with a brilliant shine. Handbags can be proofed against rain.

Kites
    Paper kites and model aeroplanes can be waterproofed.

Model Boats
    Model racing boats can reduce drag with the wax.

Marble
    Marble is easily stained with coloured liquids. Renaissance wax protects against this and is especially good on marble table tops.

Violins, Guitars, and 'cellos.
    Protect the varnish from the players natural acid and from the powdery residue of rosin.

The Motorcar
    Renaissance Wax will provide a great shine with unrivalled service in all weathers. It can be used on the leather and wooden dash inside as well.

Plaster Walls
    Apply the wax directly to untreated plaster walls for a special natural effect.

Dutch Metal
    The effects of tarnishing will be reduced or eliminated by a treatment of Renaissance Wax.

Bare Steel Furniture and Architectural Fittings
    The current fashion for leaving steel and ironwork in its natural state can cause corrosion problems, especially in bathrooms. A treatment of Renaisance Wax will preserve the natural effect and prevent rust '

forgive my lazyness...i have just copied and pasted the above as i wasnt about to copy by hand !

I use the same stuff

I remember many years ago someone said that Johnson's baby oil was very good on leather. I did use it a couple of times on Pickelhauben with very nice results. Trouble is that it doesn't smell very army'ish!

?

For leather holsters or scabbards or belts i use only parade boot polish either black or tan, i normally melt the polish and apply straight away with a soft cloth, after all thats what the polish is designed for in the first place, but i will admit that the other methods are as good

ILH
    ?

Leather scabards don't need to flex like straps and belts, etc., so I wouldn't be too worried about it drying out unless the seam/stitching are beginning to pull apart; I did my 1898 Lee Metford scabard with renaissance wax- it's great stuff!

for the straps, I agree with Nige, but whatever you decide on try it on a tiny out of the way piece first.
    If the leather is dry then apply whatever sparingly and evenly once every couple of months- flooding dry leather is not recommended.

hope the straps come out well.
    Jim.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast