Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Protecting armbands?

Article about: Hi, I'm looking for some sort of protective sleeve to protect some armbands, namely NSDAP & civil service. Acid-free is a must, and anti-reflective would be very nice. My armbands are cu

?

Default Protecting armbands?

Hi,

I'm looking for some sort of protective sleeve to protect some armbands, namely NSDAP & civil service. Acid-free is a must, and anti-reflective would be very nice.

My armbands are currently in a shadow box equipped with a UV-proof acrylic window, so light and dust should already not be an issue, but they are being held in place by paperclips, and this is what worries me. I could therefore stick the sleeves to the shadow box using double sidded tape, and that way not have the armbands support their own weight.

I'm aware that my question is probably too precise, but I thought that maybe someone went through the same research.

Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Protecting armbands?
    P
    Many

?

PLEASE do not use "Glue" This will diminish any value in the future... I am sure others will comment... TC G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

At this point in time I do not think there is anything available as you describe.

?

Quote by Gwar View Post
    PLEASE do not use "Glue" This will diminish any value in the future... I am sure others will comment... TC G
    I actually meant to use double sidded tape to hold the sleeve in the shadow box. I wouldn't ever put the armbands into direct contact with any form of adhesives!

Quote by SteveR View Post
    At this point in time I do not think there is anything available as you describe.
    This is what I fear. Though at the moment this has, I believe, some potential.

I will keep searching and will post back here if I find anything.

In one of my display frames the armband is held in place by pressure against the glass. The pressure is maintained by using a sheet or two of bubble wrap under the foam display backing.

Protecting armbands?

?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    In one of my display frames the armband is held in place by pressure against the glass. The pressure is maintained by using a sheet or two of bubble wrap under the foam display backing.

Protecting armbands?
    Very nice display! Beautiful content, and I love how the frame reflects more light than the glass does.

Unfortunately using pressure is not an option for me as the distance between the back of my shadow box and its acrylic window is bigger. Thank you for the suggestion though!

MAP
    ?

That archival plastic is what I would use. As you note, you can use tape to adhere it.

Personally, I lay mine flat inside a glass cabinet and use room darkening shades to minimize exposure to light. That does the trick and let's them breathe as well.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi, it cost a bit, but you can get not glare glass cut to any size. Also, they make what you are looking for. These type of sleeves are made for baseball cards, post cards, magazines, and comic books, etc. You may have to "alter" the protective sleeve to fit an armband, as I do not know of any place that makes them exclusively for TR armbands. You also could find a different "box" to display your items. From riker cases to handmade displays, the options are endless. K

Or...get a sheet of thin metal cut to size, wrap it in a paper or fabric so it doesn't touch the armband material. Place the metal sheet inside the armband and use magnets to hold it to the backing board.

Or as Kevin says, just get a different display box. Much easier in the long run.

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    That archival plastic is what I would use. As you note, you can use tape to adhere it.

Personally, I lay mine flat inside a glass cabinet and use room darkening shades to minimize exposure to light. That does the trick and let's them breathe as well.
    Thank you for your feedback! Always interesting.

Quote by KEVIN23 View Post
    Hi, it cost a bit, but you can get not glare glass cut to any size. Also, they make what you are looking for. These type of sleeves are made for baseball cards, post cards, magazines, and comic books, etc. You may have to "alter" the protective sleeve to fit an armband, as I do not know of any place that makes them exclusively for TR armbands. You also could find a different "box" to display your items. From riker cases to handmade displays, the options are endless. K
    I'm not sure why I didn't go for something like a riker case when I first bought my shadow box. It takes a lot of time and energy to mount something properly in it, while it looks so simple with a riker case. I might actually switch.

Thanks for the idea!

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Or...get a sheet of thin metal cut to size, wrap it in a paper or fabric so it doesn't touch the armband material. Place the metal sheet inside the armband and use magnets to hold it to the backing board.

Or as Kevin says, just get a different display box. Much easier in the long run.
    Sent you a PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast