Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Removing paint in a safe manner

Article about: Hello again, I just purchased (it's being shipped to me) a nice m35 Quist helmet, that appears to be post war painted. I like to restore helmets and this helmet is a good candidate due to pr

I don't know if its the right thing to do, but I preserved the entire helmet in a thin coat of Vaseline. Anyway, seeing this helmet come to life is so enjoyable........... I would love to know its story!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Removing paint in a safe manner
    P
    Many

Wow.Great result..

An excellent job you have done on removing the paint. I wouldn't advocate leaving it smeared in Vaseline though, in no time it will be covered in dust. I would clean it off and give it a coat of beeswax polish - not the spray type though! Many museums do this to prevent rust.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    An excellent job you have done on removing the paint. I wouldn't advocate leaving it smeared in Vaseline though, in no time it will be covered in dust. I would clean it off and give it a coat of beeswax polish - not the spray type though! Many museums do this to prevent rust.
    Copy that, ill do just that.
    Many thanks

Fantastic job there, top drawer! Will you get a period liner to complete it or leave it as it is?

Btw there is a wax called 'Renaissance' developed by the British museum perfect for this. I first heard about on this forum actually. Here is a link to it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax

Quote by canti44 View Post
    Fantastic job there, top drawer! Will you get a period liner to complete it or leave it as it is?

Btw there is a wax called 'Renaissance' developed by the British museum perfect for this. I first heard about on this forum actually. Here is a link to it:

Hi canti, ill look for a liner, completed luftwaffe helmet would be a nice addition to my collection. Also thanks for the link, ill check it out!

Quote by canti44 View Post

I just bought it, it was $15 with some change but the reviews were amaizing; thanks again for the link.

The renaissance wax gives a nice matt sheen and a purdy smell to the helmet (as well as protecting the finish of course)

2021 still looking good.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3