Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Removing rust from helmet

Article about: What can be used to remove or retard rust growth on a helmet ? Don't want to harm the surrounding patina or paint, just remove some of the oxidation. Any ideas Thanks

Hi Steve.
    I have not done anything with it yet. The Beeswax sounds harmless & safe
    Thank You.
    D.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Removing rust from helmet
    P
    Many

Quote by real steel View Post
    Hi Steve.
    I have not done anything with it yet. The Beeswax sounds harmless & safe
    Thank You.
    D.
    Hi David,

When I used to restore WW1 Mg08's & Vickers guns, I would use 3 in 1 oil and an old-fashioned razor blade held at 45 digrees to cut through the rust. But I found that traditional beeswax polish did a good job too... and not only that, it works wonders on dry skin... and the boss of the house likes the smell!

Cheers,
    Steve

I tried "3 in 1" oil on a different helmet. I did not realize the inner dome, the paint was somewhat porous. Not like the textured exterior paint. So it left a stain that spread a tiny bit each day. Maybe I used too much, but only dabbed a bit on a Q tip swab.. It did darken the rust, but would rather try something beside the 3 in 1 oil. If one looks close, you can see a bit of staining from the oil.

This is what can be achieved with fine wire wool, plenty of beeswax, plenty of rags, and a bit of elbow grease... a Jäger zu Pferde helm I restored a few years back. You have to have the frame of mind where you are prepared to accept that you could ruin the item that you are trying to clean, if you cannot accept this... then you are better to leave well alone.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Removing rust from helmetRemoving rust from helmetRemoving rust from helmetRemoving rust from helmetRemoving rust from helmetRemoving rust from helmet

Most amazing..really. Nice restoration !!
    D.

I should have perhaps added that the black colour is the original finish to the helmet, and not something I painted on!

What you did was leave an acceptable & attractive patina on it. It looks natural
    D.

David, have a look at Renaissance Wax. Once you remove the rust provides a protective anti-corrosion layer. Also helps to restore a little colour but dries with a non-oily finish. As used by the Imperial War Museum on their armour etc. So far, I'm very impressed with it. Andrew

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    David, have a look at Renaissance Wax. Once you remove the rust provides a protective anti-corrosion layer. Also helps to restore a little colour but dries with a non-oily finish. As used by the Imperial War Museum on their armour etc. So far, I'm very impressed with it. Andrew
    They also do pre-lim surface cleaner use this before waxing.

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    I think that you will find that Renaissance Wax is essentially the same as beeswax polish... the main difference being the price and the actual wax. The finish to the metal remains the same - whichever you choose to use, although I have read that in certain circumstances the Renaissance wax has proven to do more harm than good. And another thing, as I previously stated... you use the wax to remove the rust, it is kinder to the metal than some of the chemicals - such as oxalic acid.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast