Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ren wax, Yay or Nay

Article about: Greetings Guys, I would like to get some opinions on wether or not I should use Ren Wax on a leather chinstrap.It's still pliable and not dried out but it's kinda cracked and starting to dry

Default Ren wax, Yay or Nay

Greetings Guys, I would like to get some opinions on wether or not I should use Ren Wax on a leather chinstrap.It's still pliable and not dried out but it's kinda cracked and starting to dry out. I would like to preserve it. I looked it up over on WAF but the threads are almost all about blades or medals. Thank You in advance.
    "Only a pimp in a Louisiana whore house carries a pearl handled revolver"
    - General George Smith Patton Jr.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ren wax, Yay or Nay
    P
    Many

Hi Bill,
    Although some say it works well, I would research leather treatments first.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Whatever you do don't use mink oil! A rookie mistake of mine on a german helmet more than 10 years ago. Turned the liner and chinstrap dark brown.
    Regards, Al

I also had really bad luck with mink oil.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

MAP
    ?

I would not treat the leather.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I've used Connolly Hide Care with good long term results. Use sparingly or you'll be wiping away the excess for some time. Was introduced to the stuff by a guy who does holster repairs and specializes in Luger and P38 holster repairs.

I have always used special colorless leather grease with good results. The leather will of course darken at first, but this will fade again over time.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ren wax, Yay or Nay  

?

I've used renwax on leather before which darkened it significantly.

I would leave it as it is, keep it in a cool/dry place& it should remain as so. I've used ren wax on a zinc based badge that had some zinc pest, but only on the affected spots & so far ....so good !
    Paul

I agree with the other guys. Best to leave as is. I have used it with good protective results on a couple of rusted relic helmet shells, but wouldn’t use it on leather. At the end of the day, what you have is what you have, any significant change will alter its history.

Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast