Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Restoring a german "crusher cap"

Article about: Hello everyone, i bought what looks like a Schirmmütze Alter Art, in a state that can only be described as "garbage". Since i am sewing repro crusher caps as a hobby for some time

?

Default Restoring a german "crusher cap"

Hello everyone,

i bought what looks like a Schirmmütze Alter Art, in a state that can only be described as "garbage".

Since i am sewing repro crusher caps as a hobby for some time now, i decided to take on my first restoration project, if that turns out to be possible.
    I got the cap for 50€, so it's not too big a loss anyway.

My questions are now:
    -are there any ways to treat and handle the fabric, in order to clean and preserve it?
    -What material could the insignia be made of and which way shall i use to clean them up a bit?
    -is the visor made from leather or cardboard?

I browsed the threads here already, but most of them are about restoring metal items, so i could really use some good advice how to treat this sad pile of fabric.
    I am hoping for your input,
    thank you in advance, regards,
    Helen
    Last edited by Helen; 09-28-2015 at 04:23 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Restoring a german "crusher cap"
    P
    Many

Quote by Helen View Post
    Hello everyone,

i bought what looks like a Schirmmütze Alter Art, in a state that can only be described as "garbage".

Since i am sewing repro crusher caps as a hobby for some time now, i decided to take on my first restoration project, if that turns out to be possible.
    I got the cap for 50€, so it's not too big a loss anyway.

My questions are now:
    -are there any ways to treat and handle the fabric, in order to clean and preserve it?
    -What material could the insignia be made of and which way shall i use to clean them up a bit?
    -is the visor made from leather or cardboard?

I browsed the threads here already, but most of them are about restoring metal items, so i could really use some good advice how to treat this sad pile of fabric.
    I am hoping for your input,
    thank you in advance, regards,
    Helen
    Please save the photos and post them/it directly here.
    Do NOT use outside photo hosting sites please.
    Thank you,
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

Good luck Helen! Sure someone will be around to help you out.

but in the meantime, I would be great to post your photo in this thread as well (not for help but to add to the list of "beater" visors).

Post Your Pics of Beater Visors!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

thank you, i could not figure out yet how to post photos here directly. The cap is still on its way to me, when it arrives, i shall take more detailed photos and upload them in the "beater" section.

oh my thats one that surely been through more than a few months of fighting just to be tucked away in the attic i wonder what those eagle eyes have seen (not sure i would want to see what they have seen anyways though) i am a sucker for "been there" items so this one is in my eyes a looker!

cheers DS

MAP
    ?

Here is a quick guide Helen to upload directly to the forum.

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

thank you for your help! It is not that hard after all. I am just a bit clumsy with most things internet

MAP
    ?

NP Helen. It's easy once the steps are laid out.

Glad your back. You did a wonderful job with the visors you made a while back.

BTW...I love the Crusher just as it is...but that is just me.

?

Thank you, MAP. It is a beautiful hobby and even a modest, but much appreciated side income by now.
    As for the restoring patient: When i have examined the damage and should decide to better not touch it at all, i will offer it here on the forum first.
    I will not keep it as i am not a collector, and my husband is more into the "mint" look...

Uhh....Okey....Wow. To be absolutely honest, I do not see how this hat would be repairable. 50E would about cover the eagle and wreath on it, but I honestly can't see anything resembling original appearance coming out of this one! PLEASE prove me wrong and show us the finished product when done! This should be an Interesting project, to say the least!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast