Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

"Restoring" repro M42

Article about: Hey guys, I recently purchased a sz70 M42 from IMA since my size (68) is rare and expensive. I got it from from IMA for pretty cheap, and I think they are so cheap is because the color and f

Default "Restoring" repro M42

Hey guys, I recently purchased a reproduction sz70 M42 from IMA since my size (68) is rare and expensive. I got it from from IMA for pretty cheap, and I think they are so cheap is because the color and finish is atrocious. So, my plan is to give it a nice OG feldgrau look with some weathering. I'm going to go with Wehrmacht I believe. I've never restored or painted a German helmet like this and I had a few questions.

1) As an M42 with Feldgrau Dunkel, can this be a double decal, or is it only correct to put the single adler decal on its left side?

2) Can the decal be applied over a finished textured helmet? I have some aluminum oxide in the mail. Do I apply the decal before or after or whats the process there? I feel like the gritty testure would prevent you from sliding the decal into place.

3) Where can I get a good, accurate, repro chin strap? The one it came with is terrible.

4) Do the split pins also get textured?

5) Stupid question, but I'm assuming the inside of the helmet doesn't get textured, right?

Helmet: German WWII M42 Steel Helmet Stahlhelm 42- Extra Large Size – International Military Antiques
    Decals: Army Helmet Decal - Epic Militaria
    Aluminum Oxide: WW2 German Helmet Aluminium Oxide - WarHats.com
    Paint: Spray Paint - German WWII Feldgrau Dunkel (Dark Fieldgray) Spray Paint – International Military Antiques

None of this is applied yet, does it look good to you guys? Like are the decals/paint accurate? Hope I'm on the right path.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement "Restoring" repro M42
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

I've moved this the restoration section of the forum.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by Heldentod View Post
    Hey guys, I recently purchased a reproduction sz70 M42 from IMA since my size (68) is rare and expensive. I got it from from IMA for pretty cheap, and I think they are so cheap is because the color and finish is atrocious. So, my plan is to give it a nice OG feldgrau look with some weathering. I'm going to go with Wehrmacht I believe. I've never restored or painted a German helmet like this and I had a few questions.

1) As an M42 with Feldgrau Dunkel, can this be a double decal, or is it only correct to put the single adler decal on its left side?

2) Can the decal be applied over a finished textured helmet? I have some aluminum oxide in the mail. Do I apply the decal before or after or whats the process there? I feel like the gritty testure would prevent you from sliding the decal into place.

3) Where can I get a good, accurate, repro chin strap? The one it came with is terrible.

4) Do the split pins also get textured?

5) Stupid question, but I'm assuming the inside of the helmet doesn't get textured, right?

Helmet: German WWII M42 Steel Helmet Stahlhelm 42- Extra Large Size – International Military Antiques
    Decals: Army Helmet Decal - Epic Militaria
    Aluminum Oxide: WW2 German Helmet Aluminium Oxide - WarHats.com
    Paint: Spray Paint - German WWII Feldgrau Dunkel (Dark Fieldgray) Spray Paint – International Military Antiques

None of this is applied yet, does it look good to you guys? Like are the decals/paint accurate? Hope I'm on the right path.
    Hi there.

Check this video out, it will answer some of your questions -

Refurbishing a WW2 German M42 Stahlhelm + A Review of all my Original Re-enactment German Helmets! - YouTube

Here is the website he obtained the paint and decal from -

https://www.dday-1944.com/en/

Kind regards,

Will

Quote by Willmore View Post
    Hi there.

Check this video out, it will answer some of your questions -

Refurbishing a WW2 German M42 Stahlhelm + A Review of all my Original Re-enactment German Helmets! - YouTube

Here is the website he obtained the paint and decal from -

german helmet decals - www.dday-1944.com

Kind regards,

Will
    Thanks!