Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Rust...help Needed

Article about: Hi my 14 yr old son has just brought his first war relic to start his collection off...I need help in preserving it and stopping the rust what chemical treatment is the best to use please

Default Rust...help Needed

Hi my 14 yr old son has just brought his first war relic to start his collection off...I need help in preserving it and stopping the rust what chemical treatment is the best to use please
    Attached Images Attached Images Rust...help Needed  Rust...help Needed 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rust...help Needed
    P
    Many

I think I posted this in a previous thread concerning this helmet, but there's no need for any special chemicals. All you need is a bucket of warm water and a packet of teabags! Tea contains tannic acid, which neutralises rust. Fill the bucket with warm water, dump in the teabags and leave it to 'brew' for a few minutes, then immerse the helmet in the water and leave it there for a few hours. After enough time has passed, take it out and leave it to dry, then wrap it in a plastic bag with some silica gel packets to draw out any remaining moisture.

Once this process has been carried out, you shouldn't have any more problems with rust. I've used it on several relic helmets of my own, and always got good results.

Regards, B.B.