Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Storing and Preserving Respirators

Article about: Hello folks. This is a somewhat urgent matter that's been gnawing at me for some time. Since I acquired my first Civilian General Respirator, I've stored it for long periods of time in diffe

Default Storing and Preserving Respirators

Hello folks.

This is a somewhat urgent matter that's been gnawing at me for some time.
    Since I acquired my first Civilian General Respirator, I've stored it for long periods of time in different places, in and out of its canister. I've noticed that over time, it has begun to crack and perish. Obviously not a good thing!

My question would be: In what sort of conditions should I be looking to store these masks?

I should note that my collection room, which is also where I sleep, is not temperature controlled. There is no way for me to physically stabilise the temperature or humidity in the open space, and in summer it can get very muggy indeed.
    In my display cabinet, where I have several masks displayed, I use disposable dehumidifiers placed on the bottom shelf. Would these harm the rubber in the long term, or is that a good move?
    None of my masks are exposed to direct sunlight, and are either behind glass in the cabinet or up on a shelf in their boxes and bags. I also have a couple under my bed, in a cardboard shoebox stuffed with acid free paper. I have treated some of the poorer examples with Renaissance Wax to try to prevent further oxidisation.

Is there anything more I could or should do to preserve these items? I'm at the end of my tether as far as this goes, and help from those better versed would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards, B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Storing and Preserving Respirators
    P
    Many

CBH
    ?

Thats a good question, I've had a mask degrade over time myself. I hope you get a good answer.

It could prove difficult to stabilize these items as often they are made of multiply layers and or different materials and they were never been designed last 70+ years.

It seems to vary not only from the type of respirator, but from piece to piece. I have a Civilian Duty that was perished when I bought it, but hasn't gotten any worse since. The opposite is true of some of my other ones, though the problem is mostly confined to the civilian respirators. That's why I asked, and do hope someone sheds some light on it!

B.B.

A light dusting of french chalk has always worked for me. I just allow the whole outfit to air naturally first after wearing it and it has offered good service for years now.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    A light dusting of french chalk has always worked for me. I just allow the whole outfit to air naturally first after wearing it and it has offered good service for years now.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Ned.
    I take it that one's not exclusively part of your militaria collection, Ned?

B.B.

The best is to store them in a place where they get little light, the best place is obviously inside the cannister, but well, it is not very displayable like that.
    I had an old british respirator and a swiss ww2 mask who literally rotted and cracked away.. since then i rather keep them stored in darkness..
    The white soviet masks turn into an ugly brown/yellow... i guess its the UV light.. maybe some a car- vinyl- protector with Anti - UV properties could help a bit.
    Some years ago i opened a thread with the same topic..
    }

here it is, check it out, as it might help you a bit...

how do i preserve and glue brittle latex/plastic ? (gasmask)

Quote by danhashman View Post
    The best is to store them in a place where they get little light, the best place is obviously inside the cannister, but well, it is not very displayable like that.
    I had an old british respirator and a swiss ww2 mask who literally rotted and cracked away.. since then i rather keep them stored in darkness..
    The white soviet masks turn into an ugly brown/yellow... i guess its the UV light.. maybe some a car- vinyl- protector with Anti - UV properties could help a bit.
    Some years ago i opened a thread with the same topic..
    }
    The two main 'problem' masks have been placed in a shoebox under my bed, wrapped in acid free tissue paper. Just about the darkest place in the whole room, the the least disturbed. Will take them out and check them every so often, so fingers crossed.

Thank you for your input. It's very much appreciated!

B.B.

Just to add, this is the mask that's suffered the most. Has spent most of its time in its canister, but doesn't seem to have helped.
    The perishing seems to be confined to the edges of the facepiece.

B.B.

CBH
    ?

I've used vaseline of a British mask that had become stuck to itself after years in a barn, it soften it and helped it to come apart.

And big ned I like the Fart powered diving equipment you have shown, a good feed of beans then off wreck diving.

Kinda of an do it your self Re-Breather.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast