Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Styrofoam heads.

Article about: this seems to be the place to ask this. we all know that the Styrofoam heads are bad for our headgear. what if you put nylons on the head would it neutralize the damage the head does?

Default Styrofoam heads.

this seems to be the place to ask this. we all know that the Styrofoam heads are bad for our headgear. what if you put nylons on the head would it neutralize the damage the head does?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Styrofoam heads.
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Lots of threads hear on this topic. One just a week or so ago.

Short term, they won't harm headgear, long term, the science says it does release gases. If you are going to use them, cut both sleeves off an old white cotton short sleeve undershirt and put them over the head.

Here is the most recent thread

Best way to preserve your visor caps?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Without digging too deep into the science; I would purchase manikin heads vs styro heads. The hard plastic could also have some long term effects as does getting old (Darn my back hurts!).
    John

MAP
    ?

If you are displaying helmets, I would not put them on any type of head. You don't want to put too much pressure on 75 year old leather. I use vertical paper towel stands with an added piece of felt on the top, that sit on the inside top steel of the shell.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

thank you for the links to the other threads. i just bought nylons and put them on the heads looks like a bunch of people are robbing me .

Quote by jeeplover View Post
    thank you for the links to the other threads. i just bought nylons and put them on the heads looks like a bunch of people are robbing me .
    Or a very niche "special interest" club

As already stated the styrofoam is not that much of an issue in normal circumstances but I just think they look pretty crappy and if you are displaying expensive items the heads tend to drag down the aesthetic. Just my opinion but either glass or higher quality manniquin heads are much better.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-17-2021 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I use a bunch of styro heads, I like the ones that are covered with black 'fluff' as they don't attract the eye away from the headgear. You can also paint white ones black with water-based acrylic paint before adding the nylons. To avoid pressure on liners I put folded cloth between the dome and the liner, so the weight isn't on the liner.