Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

WW2 "Rupert" Parachute Dummy Replica.

Article about: I bought this "Rupert" replica, as I can't afford thousands of £\\$'s on a genuine example (if you can get one ). Quite basic in design, it's made of Hessian sack material and is ab

The head on my "Rupert" is wrong, so I'll have to sort that out...

It needs to be re-opened and a tie put in around the top, then tied up again.

So, a bit more work has been done and the main thing I need to do is find a bigger Parachute.

One will sought after in the coming days/weeks, I'm not sure of the actual size of a original one?

I've just read, that instead of the small lanyard, there is a static line at 11ft 6in long!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 "Rupert" Parachute Dummy Replica.   WW2 "Rupert" Parachute Dummy Replica.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 "Rupert" Parachute Dummy Replica.
    P
    Many

It’s worth noting that the first known use of paradummies in WW2 was by the Germans during the invasion of the Low Countries in 1940. They used paradummies to cause fear and confusion amongst the local population. The Germans also used paradummies over Scotland for deceptive purposes.
    Allegedly they also used them during the Battle of the Bulge. I don’t believe that any examples exist.

The British first used paradummies in North Africa in 1940. They were also dropped over Italy during Operation Husky and during the invasion of Madagascar. These paradummies were apparently different to the “Ruperts” but not much is known about them.

The Americans used paradummies called “Oscar” which were made of rubber (but not the same as those shown on The Longest Day, they were movie props). I believe that these were used in the Far East

I think that most of those that survive were found in hanger/barn after the war

Even the Normandy "Ruperts" came in different guises, I've seen ones that look completely different.

?

This is really interesting.

Here's an image of some forlorn looking 'ruperts' about to go on a mission.

Steve.

It's great that people from all over the world are finding this thread interesting, makes my day..

?

I have always wondered what they look like ‘in flight’.. there can be very little integrity to the form, once the ‘chute is deployed.

?

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    It's great that people from all over the world are finding this thread interesting, makes my day..
    I'm a recent import into the US so brought some interests with me.

This site, you need to register but it has a number of document and images related to the use of dummies.

Dummy Parachutists | ParaData

I grabbed this screen shot.

Steve.

Default Reshaped Head.

Yep, I joined that site and they have really helped me.

Also, there is a good but faded picture of "Ruperts" in flight..

Well, looking at my Rupert, the head is totally wrong in shape, it's too round.

It also need a tie putting in along the top edge, so it can be pulled tight.

I just hope he appreciates the effort I'm putting in
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 "Rupert" Parachute Dummy Replica.  

Here is that picture!

"Ruperts" in flight..

Even at 200ft, they still look convincing.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 "Rupert" Parachute Dummy Replica.  

?

Really surprising to see (at last) how well they hold up. I always imagined they would flop over at point of attachment and virtually fold up.
    Then again, they wouldn’t have made them if they didn’t look convincing enough!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast