Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this zinc pest??

Article about: Hello, dear Forum Members! I’ve been wondering for a long time whether the badge presented below does not bear signs of the zinc pest. From what I know, this is a very destructive type of

Default Is this zinc pest??

Hello, dear Forum Members!

I’ve been wondering for a long time whether the badge presented below does not bear signs of the zinc pest. From what I know, this is a very destructive type of corrosion, so I would like to make sure if it is present on the badge or not.
    I would be grateful for any tips and answers

Kind regards,
    Norbert

PS
    If better photos are needed, please let me know

Is this zinc pest??Is this zinc pest??
    Is this zinc pest??
    Is this zinc pest??
    Last edited by Dovahkiin; 12-28-2023 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Didn’t add photos

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this zinc pest??
    P
    Many

?

Yes, that is the corrosion known as zinc pest. You can't reverse it or do anything about the damage already done but you can arrest it.
    Apply a liberal coat of Vaseline to the affected area and leave for a couple of days before wiping off. It will help prevent further ingress of the corrosion into the zinc and preserve the badge as is.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

It looks like a very minor case of zinc pest. A small application of petroleum jelly is said to slow down the process. It's caused by excessive moisture exposure. Keep it away from other zinc badges to avoid the spread. That badge will likely outlast all of us.

Here are two advanced versions of zinc pest on two of my skulls

Is this zinc pest??

Is this zinc pest??
    Regards, Al

Than You very much! How long do I have to keep it in vaseline? Could it be for example 4 days?
    Next question is does it actually transfer from one badge to another? Should I create a quarantine for this badge?
    Kind regards

Quote by Aldo View Post
    It looks like a very minor case of zinc pest. A small application of petroleum jelly is said to slow down the process. It's caused by excessive moisture exposure. Keep it away from other zinc badges to avoid the spread. That badge will likely outlast all of us.

Here are two advanced versions of zinc pest on two of my skulls

Is this zinc pest??

Is this zinc pest??

Thank you very much for Your reply! How far from other badges should it lie? Is it possible to completely stop the process?
    Kind regards

?

I think if it's displayed in a dry environment without direct contact with each other it will be fine. I was told it could spread to other zinc badges in direct contact but I don't know if that's fact. you can leave the vaseline on for 2 days then gently wipe it off. that should stop the the corrosion. Realize that it probably took all these decades since the war to achieve that level of corrosion so it's a very slow process. Unless it's continually exposed to dampness and excess moisture it probably won't get much worse
    Regards, Al

Quote by Aldo View Post
    I think if it's displayed in a dry environment without direct contact with each other it will be fine. I was told it could spread to other zinc badges in direct contact but I don't know if that's fact. you can leave the vaseline on for 2 days then gently wipe it off. that should stop the the corrosion. Realize that it probably took all these decades since the war to achieve that level of corrosion so it's a very slow process. Unless it's continually exposed to dampness and excess moisture it probably won't get much worse

Now it’s much more understandable to me
    Still, I have some question, I hope You can help - should the vaseline be rubbed until dry? Does the process need to be repeated after time?
    Next one is about storage - can this badge be placed among other zinc things at the distance of the compartments of a typical collector's palette?
    Kind regards

?

Don't rub it dry right away. Leave a thin layer on for a few days then thoroughly rub it off. Yes the distance of a typical collectors palette is fine
    Regards, Al

Quote by Aldo View Post
    Don't rub it dry right away. Leave a thin layer on for a few days then thoroughly rub it off. Yes the distance of a typical collectors palette is fine
    Yes, I meant whether to wipe it thoroughly after a few days. I'll try and post the effects of my actions here on an ongoing basis
    Thank you very much for your help and answering my tiring questions. all the best for the New Year!

?

The last badge I treated, I coated the affected area in Vaseline and left a thick layer on it. I placed the badge in a glass and covered the glass with cling film and left it for three days. I put it in a glass to keep it from attracting dust and to stop the Vaseline getting everywhere. Then I got some soft paper towel and gently removed the Vaseline. No hard rubbing, just gentle wiping.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast