Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Luftschutz steel buckle

Article about: Hi guys, want to hear your opinions about that buckle. I am not an expert on these, but I feel it's bad. Any thoughts?

?

Default Luftschutz steel buckle

Hi guys, want to hear your opinions about that buckle. I am not an expert on these, but I feel it's bad. Any thoughts?

Luftschutz steel buckleLuftschutz steel buckle
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftschutz steel buckle
    P
    Many

Very strange one Dimas with this buckle, unlike any Luftshutz buckles I have seen before. I dont like the ears and crimp and the prongs are not that good either. however the catch looks ok, potentially could be a late war run of one of these buckles? I wonder if David has ever seen one like this? Dont write it off as for me anyway an unknown and I have been there before and sometimes they can turn out original. In the meantime I will check my archives and this thread for other examples (when time permits)
    Ben

?

Thank you, Ben!
    Regards,
    Dimas

?

One I have never come across. Any markings under the prong bar?

This is perhaps a potentially interesting buckle and one by the design which I have always regarded as SHD (Sicherheits und Hilfsdienst) and despite the overt proclamation of “Luftschutz”.

I have before seen what could be loosely described as a similar buckle and before I start blathering on, the three quick questions of (1) is the blue paint over a base of silver grey paint, (2) does the blue paint obscure stamped markings either on the buckle lip or under the pin shroud and (3), is the SHD buckle in die stamped steel actually faked?

The buckle shown is possibly one which was unofficially modified and worn by members of the motorised LS (Luftschutz) battalions post March 1942 when then fully under the control of the Luftwaffe and in remembrance of their past service within the SHD.

This is only a suggestion.

In relation to the “Air Raid Early Warning, Rescue and Recovery Services”, there were three primary organisations comprising of (1) LSW (Luftschutz Warndienst), (2) SHD (Sicherheits und Hilfsdienst) and (3), LSP (Luftschutz Polizei).

The RLB (Reichs Luftschutz Bund) by the way was a distinctly separate organisation and I think that no purpose would be served towards going into any detail.

Despite the LSW and the SHD being initially volunteer organisations, as the war developed and manpower become more scarce, personnel were apparently conscripted. Members were authorised to wear standard Luftwaffe uniforms with organisation specific insignia.

As a side note, the LSW was established in 1935 in order to essentially provide a warning service within populated areas towards incoming air raids and again I think that no purpose would be served towards going into any detail.

The SHD was established at the start of the Second World War and whose primary role was to help in the aftermath of an air raid by the rescue of persons and when possible, protect or salvage property, although was also tasked in providing guidance to and the protection of, civilians and others. Due to manpower shortages, the ranks were filled with draftees and members were apparently exempted from military service and not allowed to hold any other employment. SHD units were housed in barracks with a rotation duty system which and depending on circumstances, allowed some members to be stationed at home. Their additional duties included firefighting, rubble clearance, urban search and rescue, damaged building stabilisation, the provision of medical services and the procurement and delivery of essential supplies.

Motorised SHD battalions were established in late 1939 and members were introduced from both the police and the fire police to fill the ranks. In early 1942, the motorised SHD battalions were transferred to the Luftwaffe and renamed as motorised LS battalions, being under the control of the Luftwaffe “construction” branch. At this point, these former SHD men found themselves having a combatant status within the ranks of the Luftwaffe. These men wore the Luftwaffe uniform and adopted black Waffenfarbe and had the letters LS displayed on their shoulder boards and straps. Officers apparently used gold coloured metal cyphers, whereby NCO’s used toned silver metal cyphers and enlisted men simply had LS embroidered in black with a white outline.

As a minor side note, the non motorised SHD was in 1942 transferred to the Police Reserves as part of the Luftschutz Polizei.

Again a suggestion and a suggestion on ly that the buckle shown is possibly one which was unofficially modified by the application of blue paint and worn by members of the motorised LS (Luftschutz) battalions post March 1942 when then, fully under the control of the Luftwaffe. Essentially a buckle worn in remembrance of their past service within the SHD, rather than adopting the standard Luftwaffe buckle.

Regards and best wishes,

David

Great answer David and many thanks, very informative and a lot of people will learn a great deal from this, myself included
    Ben

?

The paint is unstable and easily cracked just with the nail. Under the paint is no other paint and the buckle itself is unmarked, or if marked there no way to find markings under the layer of paint.
    Regards,
    Dimas

Dimas, on the buckle on the right hand side where its worn it looks potentially like the colour maybe a grey/silver colour?
    Ben

?

I don't think so, Ben
    Regards,
    Dimas