Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

RLB Buckle

Article about: What you guys think? Im like it..

Default RLB Buckle

What you guys think? Im like it..RLB Buckle
    RLB Buckle

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement RLB Buckle
    P
    Many

?

DLV or RLB ?
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

Based on these pics, looks like an original. Do see post #5 on this thread relative to the DLV/RLB question.

DLV / RLB buckle - RZM 72 Paul Cramer
    Last edited by weller; 09-23-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Nice original buckle
    Ben

Historically, many collectors and myself included, were quite comfortable with attributing the horizontal wing as DLV and the down swept wing as RLB. This somewhat simplistic appropriation is now and in my opinion, highly questionable.

There is now the thought by some that these buckles and irrespective of displaying either horizontal or down swept wings, have by the said wing configuration, no absolute designation as DLV or RLB. Instead and within the early period of the two organisations formation, either design could have been worn by DLV or RLB members. Indeed, the same buckle in the form of horizontal or down swept wings, was worn by members of the embryonic W-LW.

Having said that, the horizontal wing eagle seems to have been favoured by the DLV and the down swept wing eagle, by the RLB. Period sales catalogues would appear to support this preference.

As a side note and due to a heady cocktail of stupidity, laziness and really not caring less, I still and erroneously catalogue the horizontal wing as DLV and the down swept wing, as RLB.

Regards and best wishes,

David

?

There is a theory that Assmann reversed the images of the RLB and DAF buckles in their sales catalog and this led to some of confusion.

A collector going by Christutter posted a Diplomatic/Goverment Brocade on WAF. It has this buckle with a eagle that looks like a DAF/RLB. Angolia say they these were also used by these officials.
    Attached Images Attached Images RLB Buckle 

?

Buckle posted by Eriksavast has a small catch and pebbled backside. Very close to the buckle from Markus in post #9:

RLB/DLV/SHD Buckles

Quote by kirby View Post
    ...A collector going by Christutter posted a Diplomatic/Government Brocade on WAF. It has this buckle with an eagle that looks like a DAF/RLB. Angolia say they these were also used by these officials.
    It is almost as though we are looking at generic political style eagles, where their application, irrespective of the wing configuration, the facing direction of the eagles head et al, is on occasions conveniently multi purpose rather than being organisation specific.

The Leaders buckle shown is quite interesting though. I hold a box buckle which displays an eagle and which by the style of the head, is remarkably similar. I can only repeat though what I suggested in my opening sentence.

Regards and best wishes,

David

?

Thanks for posting. A very similar eagle. Garry says to say hi.