Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Panzer 3 target practice in the 60s?

Article about: YouTube I was filtering through some old videos of cold war russian vehicles out of interest, when I stumbled upon the atgm firing soviet “tank” the IT-1 Its basically a T-62 with a modified

?

Default Panzer 3 target practice in the 60s?

YouTube

I was filtering through some old videos of cold war russian vehicles out of interest, when I stumbled upon the atgm firing soviet “tank” the IT-1

Its basically a T-62 with a modified turret to fire atgms.

The video i am linking is only a minute and a bit long and at the very end while the IT-1 is firing on the move, the camera zooms in on the target, which is a panzer 3

The IT-1 was used from 1968-1973, i know other countries use old tanks as target practice, but what makes this more unusual is that from another video i found, the balkenkreuz still seems to be on. I would of thought they would use old russian tanks like obsolete t-34s or is-2s , then again they gave them to the other communist country
    Panzer 3 target practice in the 60s?

I suppose it makes alright propaganda. To show they are still killing the germans
    Last edited by Jb4046; 07-13-2018 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Mistakes

Soviet hatred for the Nazis persisted for a very long time. Red Army soldiers frequently used German helmets for target practice, so it's not too far fetched to assure that they'd do the same with tanks, even decades after the conflict.

T-34s were more likely to be preserved than destroyed, as they were revered as symbols of the victory in the Great Patriotic War. Many were turned into monuments or placed into museums.

B.B.

Old panzers WERE used as target practice on ranges after the war ....... sad but true!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Panzer 3 target practice in the 60s?   Panzer 3 target practice in the 60s?  

Panzer 3 target practice in the 60s?   Panzer 3 target practice in the 60s?  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

I was just surprised the panzer 3 looks as good as does, if has been used a target practice since the end of ww2 to the late 60s in the video it looks in alright nick.

"Old panzers WERE used as target practice on ranges after the war ....... sad but true!"

Very sad indeed and I've been crying ever since we"lost" the Sturmtiger and late type Tiger at Bovington..

My favourite WW2 tank along with the StuG III.
    At least there are still a reasonable quantity of Panzer IIIs in existence - around 20 or so, several in working order (unlike the Tiger - only 6 of which only one is running).
    Nick

?

I suppose you would be familiar with these pdfs then?
    http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Panzer_III.pdf

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    I suppose you would be familiar with these pdfs then?
    http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Panzer_III.pdf
    Thanks - i have seen this list of Panzer IIIs on another website before - it is really cool.
    Makes me want to go to Bovington again to see all their tanks - never gets old for me!
    nick

The sad thing is that whilst folk focus on higher profile (often German) WW2 tanks, other much rarer vehicles are sitting rusting away, often parked behind those same museums which house those beautifully restored examples of which there are many worldwide....and for me, this includes the Pz6.......6, 7 or even 8.....is 5,6 or 7 more than some examples which aren't getting any attention at all or may even still be on a range somewhere being shot to $#!&.

sorry...not meant to be a downer...I think Al Murray's Youtube bit sums things up......

YouTube (see from 1.06)

?

Sounds neat n all. Will watch later as currently I am using school WiFi!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast