Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What cannon is this?

Article about: The cannon in this WW2 period photo looks Russian to me, but I'm out of my element trying to identify artillery. Can somebody ID this for me? Thank you. Regards, Kevin

Default What cannon is this?

The cannon in this WW2 period photo looks Russian to me, but I'm out of my element trying to identify artillery. Can somebody ID this for me? Thank you.

Regards,
    Kevin

What cannon is this?

?

Ok i am not sure if what i am going to suggest is far fetched but i think matches. If not then hopefully someone else will know

I think this a 20x138B flak 30 (NOT THE LATER FLAK38) gun with some sorta fake barrel attachment to disguise it as some sort of larger Anti tank piece. Maybe too throw off enemy reconnaissance? Or maybe to protect the barrel from the elements. But in any case the “barrel” looks way to big for the gun shield

The gun shield seems a pretty solid match. And the larger structure for the sights and controls under the canvas seems to match the rough outline of the sight and aiming structure of a flak 30.

What cannon is this?

Not sure if this is a satisfactory answer but its what i think!

Cheers
    John
    What cannon is this?What cannon is this?

With the recoil cradle behind the armour... it could be a tank turret?

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Ok i am not sure if what i am going to suggest is far fetched but i think matches. If not then hopefully someone else will know

I think this a 20x138B flak 30 (NOT THE LATER FLAK38) gun with some sorta fake barrel attachment to disguise it as some sort of larger Anti tank piece. Maybe too throw off enemy reconnaissance? Or maybe to protect the barrel from the elements. But in any case the “barrel” looks way to big for the gun shield

The gun shield seems a pretty solid match. And the larger structure for the sights and controls under the canvas seems to match the rough outline of the sight and aiming structure of a flak 30.

What cannon is this?

Not sure if this is a satisfactory answer but its what i think!

Cheers
    John

I'll go with your suggestion.

Thanks for your opinions. That large-looking barrel had me fooled.

?

It definitely caught me out at first. Spent my first few minutes of research looking at old Russian/Finnish coastal guns

Looking at the photo there is a black shadow under the barrel that looks to have been added. Are you certain the photo hasn't been touched up some a censor or someone else?

?

the barrel in the photo ion the first one is greater in dimension & legenth.

?

I don’t think it’s the flak guns real barrel mate. Looks almost comically disproportionate compared to the gun shield

I still reckon it’s a cold weather cover/transit cover for the barrel. If the breech, sights and vert and horiz kit are covered up then the crew went the extra length to cover the barrel.

Edit - just look at all the ice frozen on the gun shield. Probably just wanted to save time later by keeping everything protected

What cannon is this?

Still not sure about it. I can understand covering the firing position against ice but not the barrel. Certainly an odd one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast