Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Authenticity of SA buckle

Article about: Hello, I was recently given this SA buckle as a gift but I have doubts on it's authenticity.I was hoping some of you buckle experts could help me out. Thanks in advance!

?

Default Authenticity of SA buckle

Hello, I was recently given this SA buckle as a gift but I have doubts on it's authenticity.I was hoping some of you buckle experts could help me out. Thanks in advance!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Authenticity of SA buckle   Authenticity of SA buckle  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Authenticity of SA buckle
    P
    Many

Quote by Wally6 View Post
    ...but I have doubts on it's authenticity...
    Why?

A very generous gift as and in my opinion, the SA buckle shown is both original and actually a little special.

The roundel design by the eagle, swastika and oak leaf swag is well documented and buckles which support this roundel are encountered as both single piece die struck and with a separately affixed roundel.

The roundel however belongs to a generic group which have very similar features, although there are and under eye wateringly close scrutiny, very minor differences.

For the SA buckle shown, is the box magnetic (steel) with a plating? For myself it is difficult to tell from the low resolution images and there is always the chance that the box has a non magnetic (brass) base. I for one would be interested in this information and also, appreciate sight of detailed images towards the pin shroud and claws.

Although I am very familiar with this roundel design, it is the first time that I have seen such a finish to the roundel and also, the type of box employed (assuming a steel base).. Having said that, the roundel is found on a variety of box styles of ranging quality, rather than being associated with a uniform or signature type.

Again and in my opinion, an original and more than likely special and rare SA buckle.

Attached are some random images of the more commonly encountered SA buckles which sport this roundel design.

Regards and best wishes,

David

?

Thank you very much for your reply David, I had a doubt because of the casting(?) line next to the bottom hole. I'm not a buckle collector and just wanted to make sure. Again, thank you for your reply. I will try to add more images tomorrow.

Wally

Wally I am with David, a nice buckle indeed
    Ben