Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mirror Image SA's

Article about: Here are a brace of SA's and which I think are the same super design, albeit presented in a different finish. Brass with a nickle silver roundel and chrome with a chrome roundel (not nickle

Default Mirror Image SA's

Here are a brace of SA's and which I think are the same super design, albeit presented in a different finish.

Brass with a nickle silver roundel and chrome with a chrome roundel (not nickle silver).

Regards,

David

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mirror Image SA's
    P
    Many

Default Re: Mirror Image SA's

Very nice!!

Rob

Default Mirror Image SA's

One piece v two piece "mirror image " SA's.

In my opinion, a difficult quite specific design of SA to find.

Regards,

David

b

c

d

There are of course many "mirror image" SA's, although the last one was posted in now a vain hope of drawing fire.

This last buckle is known with another variation to the design. I hold some images that unfortunately I am not at liberty to post.

The specific design of SA eagle is documented holding an "upright" swastika ! Totally different from the Assmann SA with an upright swastika that is so very well known and toward which we thought was quite exclusive to Fritz.

Does any member hold this referred to buckle ?

Regards,

David

Quote by David North View Post
    There are of course many "mirror image" SA's, although the last one was posted in now a vain hope of drawing fire.

This last buckle is known with another variation to the design. I hold some images that unfortunately I am not at liberty to post.

The specific design of SA eagle is documented holding an "upright" swastika ! Totally different from the Assmann SA with an upright swastika that is so very well known and toward which we thought was quite exclusive to Fritz.

Does any member hold this referred to buckle ?

Regards,

David

Hello David. I think you are talking about this buckle. I recently got it.,

Mirror Image SA's

Mirror Image SA's

Mirror Image SA's

Mirror Image SA's

Indeed Kenny, the one and the same.

It may have taken nearly a decade for the buckle to feature on the Forum, however well worth the wait.

The attached photo merge (second post) shows the distinct design of the eagle and which is consistent, even with differing styles of swastikas and furthermore, overall buckle construction. I have never seen an example with the feature of a Mobile swastika, however it is reasonable to assume that they were produced and in order to complete the ubiquitous trio.

For this buckle and irrespective of the swastika style, it is I think quite uncommon.

It is in my opinion an early period SA buckle and it does offer some interesting features, other than simply the design of the eagle.

Whilst the Sun Wheel swastika example is known in the two forms of (1) single piece die stamped and (2), a separate roundel attached to a box, I have never seen an Upright swastika example as one piece die stamped. Instead, always displaying a separate roundel attached to a box. In addition and for those that I have seen, there is no consistency with the style of box, pin shroud and claws employed. As earlier mentioned, I think that this is an early period SA buckle and it is more than likely that the roundel could be bought in isolation and then eventually assembled to cannibalised boxes by those engaged within the thriving cottage industry of the mid 1920’s. This is only an uneducated guess, however who knows and really, who cares?

A super method of affixing the roundel to the box by the way and well documented, being again indicative of an early period SA buckle, again in my opinion of course.

Attached are images of another early SA, where the roundel is affixed in a similar way and where the small but effective fold over tabs, are more clearly visible.

By the way, those inscribed circles to the reverse of the buckle box are quite interesting, although perhaps we could talk about these some other time.

Regards and best wishes,

David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast