MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

S A Wehrmannschaften buckle - A review

Article about: To me - these are a minefield, and I'm never that comfortable with them. Although the buckle does not appear to have any casting flaws, and it is quite well "worn" I am still unsur

Default S A Wehrmannschaften buckle - A review

To me - these are a minefield, and I'm never that comfortable with them. Although the buckle does not appear to have any casting flaws, and it is quite well "worn" I am still unsure

I was not aware that they ever came with a leather tab - especially with a different maker. Buckle is CTD and tab HA - I would assume that it has been added at some time?

Should this be a concern? and is the buckle "OK"

Thanks for any input

Bob......

sorry - some of the photos uploaded twice
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture S A Wehrmannschaften buckle - A review   S A Wehrmannschaften buckle - A review  

S A Wehrmannschaften buckle - A review   S A Wehrmannschaften buckle - A review  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement S A Wehrmannschaften buckle - A review
    P
    Many

For me worn but original, correct colour and good markers. Tab has been added at some point, they were not issued with tabs originally
    Ben

Thanks Ben - Good to know

Dear Bob,

From the images provided, a buckle that I am not at all comfortable with. Pointless at this moment perhaps to go into detail and instead, are you able to provide additional detailed images in sharp focus and in natural light?

Your assumption about the leather tongue is spot on.

Regards and best wishes,

David

Took some better photos - of sorts - removed the tab, it just didn't look right - plus the thread glowed like Halloween

Thanks
    Bob
    -------------------------------
    Ut Diu Ut Permanere
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture S A Wehrmannschaften buckle - A review   S A Wehrmannschaften buckle - A review  

S A Wehrmannschaften buckle - A review  

Still for me a worn original, correct colour of the white aluminium, lack of cast flaws. Prob a ground dug example
    Ben

Thank You Ben- There are indeed no casting flaws that I can see.
    Thanks again. you have been very helpful
    Bob
    -------------------------------
    Ut Diu Ut Permanere

David might have seen something I have missed so hopefully he will chime in
    Ben

?

You seldom ever see these with this much wear. It could have been worn post war. Here is a couple of real ones. One with the original finish one with the finish worn off but still in very nice condition. I don't own the bottom one anymore.

My apologies for the late response here, however I have been travelling and only returned home to China yesterday.

Thankyou Bob for the new images and which are greatly appreciated.

There were a few features that originally concerned me and now having looked at the new images, the concerns for myself at least are unfounded and were simply a “fail safe” reaction on my behalf. Similar to Ben, my opinion is that the buckle shown is original, albeit in a somewhat unusual, worn state. The buckle was of course period worn, however the overwhelming majority of those encountered are in essentially unworn condition.

A worn SA-Wehrmannschaft buckle always makes me nervous as if the wear and distressing is carefully simulated, it is an effective way of masking some of the tell tale signs of casting. Again, the new images submitted by Bob show and in my opinion, an original worn buckle. Whether the wear is pre 1945 or post 1945, is really anyone’s guess.

Talking about the SA-Wehrmannschaft buckle, perhaps we sometimes assume that there is unequivocally one design and one configuration of RZM code marks.

I am sure that I have shown this buckle before, however and without wishing to be eye wateringly pedantic, it is a variant. The obverse design is essentially as per, however the manufacturer appears to have changed or modified the male die. The images to the buckles reverse speak for themselves and it would I think be patronising to list the differences. What is worthy of comment though is that this variant, also shows the well known flaw to the reverse of one of the wings.

Regards and best wishes,

David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast