Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SA Buckle - Odd Prong?

Article about: Hi gents and buckle experts. I'm looking for another "sunwheel" buckle to complete an SA mannequin, and found this one. I like the look of it, but I haven't seen another with a &qu

Quote by weller View Post
    I contacted a collector friend who is very familiar with SA buckles and collects a lot of early examples. He studies the design, roundels, materials used etc. He also has an example like the SA buckle being discussed here, and like the SA example I provided. He stated these buckles with some unusual characteristics have people that deem them fake, and always will.

As he stated, "why should anyone be so silly as to create such a fake which has so many easily recognisable, unusual and interesting features?"

His final comment, "An original and highly unusual SA buckle in my opinion, and understandably, not one for the inexperienced collector or the faint hearted".
    Wonderful! Thanks so much taking the time to seek out another opinion and share it with us here. I really enjoy that an unusual buckle has inspired a great conversation. This buckle was being offered at a reasonable price, so I went ahead and purchased it earlier this afternoon. I figured that since it was relatively inexpensive, it was worth it to go ahead and buy it just in case it turned out to be authentic, if not a little unorthodox. I'll provide some more good shots of it once I have it in hand, and then I think I'll place it on a belt as the final piece of my early SA mannequin.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Buckle - Odd Prong?
    P
    Many

Hi, Gents! I've got the buckle in-hand, and have provided more pics below as requested. I don't think my pictures really show anything that the seller's didn't, but I did get some extra angles, and took some photos under a couple of different light sources.

I felt like the buckle had a chance of being a good, if not typical, example, and now after having it in hand I feel more like it's a period piece. The overall wear looks convincing to me, and I had a look at it under my USB microscope as well. It showed tons of microfine scratches and marks that are typical of an often worn or handled old piece of metal.

Either way, good or bad, here are some new pics. Enjoy!

SA Buckle - Odd Prong?
    SA Buckle - Odd Prong?
    SA Buckle - Odd Prong?
    SA Buckle - Odd Prong?
    SA Buckle - Odd Prong?
    SA Buckle - Odd Prong?

?

Hello,
    Yes, you can see that this piece has been worn/used and despite all the skeptical opinions (including me), your detailed photos convince me.
    A not "08/15" ( not commonplace,) SA buckle..
    Regards
    kabl
    Last edited by kabl; 04-26-2024 at 03:02 PM.

Quote by kabl View Post
    Hello,
    Yes, you can see that this piece has been worn/used and despite all the skeptical opinions (including me), your detailed photos convince me.
    A not "08/15" ( not commonplace,) SA buckle..
    Regards
    kabl
    Thanks for coming back to have a look, kabl. Yes, I agree - you can certainly see where the belt catch has scratched and worn away the back of the buckle after much use. A nice, unusual example I think that will go well with the collection.

-DF

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2