Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ugly claw SA without eras

Article about: Hi! Any opinion appreciate it. Thank you!

Question Ugly claw SA without eras

("ears" sorry!)

Hi!
    Any opinion appreciate it.
    Thank you!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ugly claw SA without eras   Ugly claw SA without eras  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ugly claw SA without eras
    P
    Many

Dear Alex,

In my opinion, a period and quite interesting SA buckle.

The roundel by the design and by the quality of the slightly soft strike is not the most aesthetically pleasing, although there is an interesting swastika under the "red dot".

The crudely cast and integral claws/pin shroud is common for this particular SA buckle, as is the distinctive ramp to the strap catch.

Just my opinion, however I do not think that this buckle started life earless. Often seen as you have shown and it really matters not.

Regards and best wishes,

David

Thank you David!
    Here comes the swastika:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ugly claw SA without eras  

?

Here is an SA example that is earless. This is my buckle, and Mr. North has a similar example. Buckle similar to the early SS earless examples.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ugly claw SA without eras   Ugly claw SA without eras  

Nice sunwheel.
    Thank you for your answer!

Quote by alex gross View Post
    ...Here comes the swastika...
    Dear Alex,

Many thanks for showing the roundel in the full entirety.

For design reasons and simply nothing else, a slightly unorthodox and eccentric execution of a mobile swastika that I have always found interesting.

As for the crudely cast and integral claws/pin shroud arrangement to your buckle and as you know, many examples have been previously posted on the Forum.

Regards and best wishes,

David

Quote by weller View Post
    ...buckle similar to the early SS earless examples...
    Shown before on the Forum, although a very interesting topic that Weller has now introduced into this thread.

Regards and best wishes,

David

Detail towards part of the eagle and swastika.

An odd early SA for discussion, odd in many ways.

This full size SA has no ears, has the roundel mounted with pins and is reversed in that it attaches to a belt that latches from the opposite side.

In my opinion, a wonderful SA buckle.

It is interesting to note that it shares exactly the same “box” as the SA buckle shown on post number 4. The same profile to the area which is devoid of ears, the same “half moon” catch and the same slightly under size solder spot holes.

The roundel designs and the claws are however quite different, although the pin shrouds, together with that on the SS buckle shown on post number 7, have perhaps two common traits. All three pin shrouds display tooling indentations and there is a common profile to the area where the ears are normally found.

I am assuming that the wire brads holding in place the roundel are a “do-it-yourself” improvisation by the left handed owner, applied when he decided to change for his convenience, the direction of how the strap engaged with the buckle and yet, ensure that the roundel was not when worn, upside down.

Regards and best wishes,

David