Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Advice needed before purchasing my first SA dagger

Article about: Hi all, I'm new to this and have been reading all the immensely helpful stickies and other advice on the forum but am of course not educated enough to be certain about anything. I'm looking

Default Advice needed before purchasing my first SA dagger

Hi all,

I'm new to this and have been reading all the immensely helpful stickies and other advice on the forum but am of course not educated enough to be certain about anything.

I'm looking at purchasing my first SA dagger and was wondering what the forum's thoughts on this one is?

The sales blurb are as follows:

GERMAN WWII SA ERASED ROHM DAGGER BY HENCKELS.
    An early model 33 dagger having all nickel fittings, standard wood grip, which is undamaged apart from minor abrasions. Good quality nickel national emblem with an undamaged SA inset. The blade shows the standard ‘Ulles Fur Deutschland’ logo, slight evidence of sharpening at the point. On the reverse side the slight outline of the full length inscription ‘IN MEMORY OF ERNST ROHM’ can just about be seen, the scratch marks of the grinder have also passed over the upper half of the ‘Henckels’ trademark. Group marked ‘BO’ on the right hand side on the rear of the lower grip mount, normally the group area markings were at the very centre. Fitted into its early anodised scabbard, which does have some of the lacquer left. All of the fittings in good condition, very minor indentations to the lower mount. The four screws holding the mounts in place all have their heads unturned. The dagger is complete with its brown leather hanger with its fully operational sprung loaded D ring clip.
    I've also attached the pictures that accompanies the listing.

Thanks in advance, Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Advice needed before purchasing my first SA dagger   Advice needed before purchasing my first SA dagger  

Advice needed before purchasing my first SA dagger   Advice needed before purchasing my first SA dagger  

Advice needed before purchasing my first SA dagger   Advice needed before purchasing my first SA dagger  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Advice needed before purchasing my first SA dagger
    P
    Many

?

I think it is original however in not great shape. The grind on the reverse is pretty ruff. Also shows corrosion and cleaning to obverse of blade. I believe fittings are correct. Screws, crossguards eagle and scabbard fittings look early and original to me. Scabbard does show corrosion. I believe Henckel is about a 4 on rarity list.

For me I would look for an SA in better condition. Condition for me is the most important and I would rather save and be patient then purchase a lower quality dagger. However this is my collecting style.
    The experts will give you a better review. Also welcome to the hobby.

Tim

Thanks Tim - trying to avoid being too impulsive so your feedback is really appreciated.

I also Echo Tims thoughts on the dagger you posted and also can see that all fittings are period consistent with a couple of odd observations more.

Its rare that we see the "BO" gruppe mark on the far side of the lower guard..usually we see the Hochland "Ho" gruppe mark over there ...but the stamping is period..so I see no issues with that.

I also see a neat little period repair to the hanger retainer loop ..which looks like a tiny clasp to hold what may have been split of broken at some point during the period. ....I like that

The tang nut which appears more shiney and new looking compared to the overall patination on the rest of the fittings...it may be just the photos and light giving that appearance.
    In curious to see any swirl markings on the top guard.

IMO an Honest but Rough example and the blade should be the highlight of any dagger ...but in this case it is not.

I can not confirm if this really is a Rohm example as I have seen in the past that some Private enterprisers have taken a standard blade and recklessly adding a hacked up Rohm inscription only to grind it down and pass it off as a gr. Rohm dagger..........why do we see hand driven grind marks on the left and right side of the producer logo and not touching the center of the logo ?

I can say without a doubt that the dagger itself is early period and authentic....the Dedication needs more clarity.

On a brighter note : Henckels did ship to the Bavarian " BO" district Rohm daggers ...so there is hope in the dagger you posted in that respect.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

I could never enjoy a destroyed blade like this.
    Be sure im not the only one, this is a novice collector dagger, no offensive....but a more advanced collector will not buy it.
    So you get stuck with it and no upgrade possibility with this dagger in a trade.

Find a better one.

Ger

Thanks all - I think I'll heed advice and hold off this one.

?

Good decision, Mike.

That blade was really abused and still shows signs of rust and the scabbard is pretty tired too.

And the seller translated the Rohm dedication incorrectly

Dave