Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Aug. Merten S.A. Dagger

Article about: Got this SA Dagger from my neighbor (along with a RAD Hewer) who purchased a house from the children of an eldlery Vet who passed on my street and found these items in the basement (along wi

Lol - 10 indicates the rarest on the scale. If the scabbard
    were black, it would mean it's an NSKK dagger.

There are three distinct types: 'Early' - maker marked,
    'Transitional' - maker marked AND RZM marked,
    and 'Late' period - RZM/M code pieces.........
    Regards,

Steve.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Aug. Merten S.A. Dagger
    P
    Many

Hi Michael..all has been said and clarified..which Merten is a very common maker..more so leaning towards a #1 status in rarity...as the rarity list is based on frequency of sightings ...the more one producer is seen....the less it is rare.
    I like the idea it came straight out of the house of the vet..as the dagger hanger is reversed around...possibly done by the SA mann himself..who knows..but the correct way is seen in the photo below..from WRF member "rbminis"

I would not touch a thing and leave the hanger be..as it still is workable the other way around..depending how the SA man wanted to wear it..or for easy removal.

The anodizing has worn away..and hard to say what happened over the years.
    1 question though..what is that little string attached to the carrying ring on the scabbard?
    Thanks for the better pics...August Merten along with Eickhorn ,,Ernst Pack..Herm Konejung..and a few more..are some of the early boys. Quality made dagger . Regards Larry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aug. Merten S.A. Dagger  
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

MAP
    ?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Lol - 10 indicates the rarest on the scale. If the scabbard
    were black, it would mean it's an NSKK dagger.

There are three distinct types: 'Early' - maker marked,
    'Transitional' - maker marked AND RZM marked,
    and 'Late' period - RZM/M code pieces.........
    Steve,

Thanks! but had to ask about the scaling :-). Joke at my expense! :-)
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi Michael..all has been said and clarified..which Merten is a very common maker..more so leaning towards a #1 status in rarity...as the rarity list is based on frequency of sightings ...the more one producer is seen....the less it is rare.
    I like the idea it came straight out of the house of the vet..as the dagger hanger is reversed around...possibly done by the SA mann himself..who knows..but the correct way is seen in the photo below..from WRF member "rbminis"

I would not touch a thing and leave the hanger be..as it still is workable the other way around..depending how the SA man wanted to wear it..or for easy removal.

The anodizing has worn away..and hard to say what happened over the years.
    1 question though..what is that little string attached to the carrying ring on the scabbard?
    Thanks for the better pics...August Merten along with Eickhorn ,,Ernst Pack..Herm Konejung..and a few more..are some of the early boys. Quality made dagger . Regards Larry
    Larry,

That little string is for a tag. I tag everything so that when I die my wife won't sell my stuff without knowing what is it

And yes. This was absolutely a vet bring back so any changes were done during the period.

Thanks for all your help

Edit: typo

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Nice dagger with a nice blade! Looks like the Vet found that the scabbard had rusted in the basement and rubbed it with some medium like a green pad or fine steel wool to remove the rust and there went the anodizing, and kept on until he had an even finish all over..bare metal..Just part of its history now! Congrats on the acquisition.. Kevin.

MAP
    ?

Quote by heers68 View Post
    Nice dagger with a nice blade! Looks like the Vet found that the scabbard had rusted in the basement and rubbed it with some medium like a green pad or fine steel wool to remove the rust and there went the anodizing, and kept on until he had an even finish all over..bare metal..Just part of its history now! Congrats on the acquisition.. Kevin.
    Thanks Kevin.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2