Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

August Merten with unusual hanger

Article about: This SA dagger was one of three that were sent back from Germany by my father in 1945. The two others were lufts... all three hung on my wall as a teenager. If you look closely you can see t

Default August Merten with unusual hanger

This SA dagger was one of three that were sent back from Germany by my father in 1945. The two others were lufts... all three hung on my wall as a teenager. If you look closely you can see the nail hole in the top part of the leather hanger. When the war ended, my father was transferred to a disarmament division which operated out of Stuttgart. Dad found this dagger in a linen closet in the town of Esslingen. I handled the daggers as a kid, but I never abused them. Unfortunately, the blade on this Merten is not the best, having a lot of age greying on it. But the hanger is unlike any other I have seen. The carrying ring on the scabbard has been removed and the hanger is sewn in place. It cannot be removed. Hope you enjoy seeing it!

August Merten with unusual hangerAugust Merten with unusual hangerAugust Merten with unusual hangerAugust Merten with unusual hangerAugust Merten with unusual hanger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement August Merten with unusual hanger
    P
    Many

Hi Michael ...I see that you had a victory in posting photos .

Very cool that your Dad found this in Esslington. The SA producer Friedrich Dick " F. Dick " also was from Esslington.
    Although the blade has age grey ...this dagger still holds a tone of other beauty ...the tight grip to crossguard fit..the anodizing on the scabbard is still decent with a few pepper age spots.

The SA Gruppe mark "Ho" " Hochland is correct as well.
    An unmessed with dagger ..I like it.

The eye catcher is the non standard hanger which a leather maker produced this for the owner. I like how the leather was custom fit around the upper scabbard fitting. Definitely tells a story of the owner of the capacity he served in.

Below is a link to my Ferdinand Neuhaus ...with a home made hanger with carrying ring removed. I just love these hanger rarities and appreciate the one you post as well .

Ferdinand Neuhaus Early SA Dagger

August Merten with unusual hanger August Merten with unusual hanger
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Larry... after reading about your Neuhaus, I'm glad the carrying connector on my dagger is on the "correct" side. I wouldn't want to be responsible for Ade's head exploding...
    Last edited by SkylineDrive; 05-19-2023 at 08:36 PM.

Really nice, love that hanger
    -TJ-

?

Here is another unusual non-removable hanger, but this one is SS.

The big ring was sawn through and removed and a slot cut in the strap for the little ring. Then the big ring was put back. On the rear view, you can see the cut in the big ring.

Dave
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture August Merten with unusual hanger   August Merten with unusual hanger  

?

Nice piece of history you show, i like those custom made hangers!

Ger

?

Quote by Dave H View Post
    Here is another unusual non-removable hanger, but this one is SS.

The big ring was sawn through and removed and a slot cut in the strap for the little ring. Then the big ring was put back. On the rear view, you can see the cut in the big ring.

Dave
    This Fritz Rasp patented vertical hanger is pretty rare but every now and then on the market, a pretty rare and nice vertical hanger.
    I have seen them on SS & SA daggers, private purchase for the one that wanted something special

Ger