Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Bought an early SA Dagger, any more info?

Article about: Picked this up from a local individual who said it was his grandfathers, who he said was in the SA. He said he will mail me a copy of his grandfathers info once he digs it out from storage.

?

Default Bought an early SA Dagger, any more info?

Picked this up from a local individual who said it was his grandfathers, who he said was in the SA.

He said he will mail me a copy of his grandfathers info once he digs it out from storage.

I didn't buy it for the story, but the price was fair for $800. He said he used to have the hanger for it, but lost it years ago.

It is an early Gebrüder Heller with solid nickle fittings.

The fittings look like they have a larger gap than they are due to leaving the nut loose for the pictures.

There is a slight gap on all sides when tightened.

Don't see any Gruppe marking.

Previous owner took a small chip out of the backside bottom grip edge at one time.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bought an early SA Dagger, any more info?   Bought an early SA Dagger, any more info?  

Bought an early SA Dagger, any more info?   Bought an early SA Dagger, any more info?  

Bought an early SA Dagger, any more info?   Bought an early SA Dagger, any more info?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bought an early SA Dagger, any more info?
    P
    Many

Nice original dagger for a normal price Congratz

Looks fine to me(the Sheath is particularly nice), but why, on Earth, would anyone sell his Grandfather's dagger for a lousy 800 bucks? Lordy,what times we live in...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Looks fine to me(the Sheath is particularly nice), but why, on Earth, would anyone sell his Grandfather's dagger for a lousy 800 bucks? Lordy,what times we live in...
    He had it listed for $1000. I just offered $800.

With the grandfather story, I tend to not believe it until I see a full name and some info I can research.

Until he sends me the info, it's just a story to me.

I wouldn't pay more for something with just a story. It would need proof.

?

She's a nice one! I love seeing the large "pimples" in the motto as well. You paid a fair price at $800 USD, $1,000 would have been too high in this market. Condition is great, although I don't see photos of the back side (you mentioned a chip in the grip). The gaps are fine, it's just shrinkage is all. If it were my dagger, since you already took it apart I would not tighten the nut much at all when displaying or storing it. Hand tighten it snug so the guards don't wobble, but that's it. This will help with keep the grip from cracking (and that chip from getting worse) from the expanding of the wood if you live in an area where you have humid and dry months.

As for the story, you are right to buy the item, not the story. Even if you get the documentation about his Grandfather, since these daggers were issued without serial numbers there is literally zero chance of you being able to tie it to a person. Because of this you should not be expected to pay extra for documentation (outside the value of the documents as stand alone items). In other words, the documents together with the dagger only raise the value if the buyer (you) choose to pay more for them together than you would if they were completely separate.

?

The previous owner had it apart before me and left the nut loose. I figured I'd take some pictures of any markings while it was loose.

I have the nut finger tight right now to avoid cracking the grip.

?

Quote by grimes View Post
    The previous owner had it apart before me and left the nut loose. I figured I'd take some pictures of any markings while it was loose.

I have the nut finger tight right now to avoid cracking the grip.
    In this case no harm was done, nice to see the Heller anchor tangmarking.
    Overall nice fit on this early Heller.

Ger