Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

C Gustav Spitzer with plated cross guards

Article about: Hello everyone. I came across this early model C Gustav Spitzer with what appears to be plated cross guards. From what I've read, it's rare to have an early model SA with plated cross guards

Default C Gustav Spitzer with plated cross guards

Hello everyone. I came across this early model C Gustav Spitzer with what appears to be plated cross guards. From what I've read, it's rare to have an early model SA with plated cross guards but not unheard of. I've never seen a plated early model one personally. It's priced well at $550 including shipping, but I'm not sure that offsets the deficiencies.

Scabbard is likely a repaint and there is what appears to be a decent sized rust spot on the blade below the "u" in "Fur", bit of a gap on the lower cross guard.

I'm thinking these might be plated zinc cross guards because of what appears to be rust underneath the finish and the bubbling pattern.

Lakeside Traders has a handy guide that I like to reference when I have a quick question: German Alles Fur Deutschland SA Dagger | Lakesidetrader

Apologies for the less than idea photos, this is all I was able to get from the seller. This isn't a must have item for me, but I thought it was a nice variation from the norm. But then again, if the deficiencies are big detractors I would pass on this one. Would love your comments and opinions.

If anyone has any examples of their own I'd love to see them!

C Gustav Spitzer with plated cross guardsC Gustav Spitzer with plated cross guardsC Gustav Spitzer with plated cross guardsC Gustav Spitzer with plated cross guardsC Gustav Spitzer with plated cross guardsC Gustav Spitzer with plated cross guardsC Gustav Spitzer with plated cross guardsC Gustav Spitzer with plated cross guardsC Gustav Spitzer with plated cross guardsC Gustav Spitzer with plated cross guards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture C Gustav Spitzer with plated cross guards   C Gustav Spitzer with plated cross guards  

C Gustav Spitzer with plated cross guards  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement C Gustav Spitzer with plated cross guards
    P
    Many

Hi AK ...Not one to have in a collection ...as there have been chrome plate over nickel fittings that have been sighted ..but from an early period perspective..never Zinc guards and your correct..the plating is lifting which would be seen on later RZM types.

The next question with the blade being early...where is this sanctioned SA gruppe mark that should be seen on the lower reverse guard ?
    What laid the egg into existence was the Chicken that came first ...the egg just did not appear first .....so with Early SA daggers ..Zinc guards did not come first.

Pass on this dagger..and if you want a genuine early SA dagger ..Paul Hogle ( Lakesidetrader ) has a great selection

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi Larry! Thanks for chiming in. As I mentioned in LST's guide, plated guards are acceptable on early model daggers and those not having a gau/gruppe mark are consistent with plated guards later used on RZM daggers. That's my understanding from reading their article and if I'm misinterpreting something please correct me :-)

I do agree with you though this is probably a pass. Just thought it'd be a nice, kind of a different piece to have at a low price point. I actually have a pretty nice (in my opinion) Asso I picked up from an older collector over at WAF. Here's a few photos. Feel free to provide your feedback!

C Gustav Spitzer with plated cross guardsC Gustav Spitzer with plated cross guardsC Gustav Spitzer with plated cross guardsC Gustav Spitzer with plated cross guardsC Gustav Spitzer with plated cross guardsC Gustav Spitzer with plated cross guardsC Gustav Spitzer with plated cross guards

That Arthur Schuttlehoffer " Asso"" is exactly what you want in an early SA dagger....which includes a great 2 pc hanger with an extra bonus of the first type snap clip being the longer nosed type. I would not settle for less and that dagger has it all .

If you have not already started a thread on the Asso dagger please do in a separate thread.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I thought I posted one when I got it a few months ago, but perhaps not. I paid $800 for it.

Regarding chickens versus eggs, eggs versus chickens, LST's guide etc. etc. in ascending order from my perspective from first to last it should have read: nickel silver, nickel plated malleable iron, nickel plated zinc, aluminum (rarely) and die casting (versus sand casting) for the very last types. On political daggers aluminum significantly in the minority some work is still being done on the who and exactly when, with zinc the last type of metal used by the Germans to the end of production. If actual TR period German specifications can be found it will probably state Eloxieren for example with the mid period Luftwaffe dress blade fittings, and for the steel non-painted scabbards TR period specifications do use Brünieren (and/or a minor variant) as the type of metal finishing. Best Regards, Fred.