Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Carl Eickhorn Niederrhein Dagger

Article about: Hello Everyone, I picked this up today for \\$200 and just wanted to know how it rates. I am not well versed with these daggers, but I believe this an earlier one. Please provide any and all o

Default Carl Eickhorn Niederrhein Dagger

Hello Everyone,
    I picked this up today for $200 and just wanted to know how it rates. I am not well versed with these daggers, but I believe this an earlier one. Please provide any and all opinions, and thank you for your time.
    NickCarl Eickhorn Niederrhein DaggerCarl Eickhorn Niederrhein DaggerCarl Eickhorn Niederrhein DaggerCarl Eickhorn Niederrhein DaggerCarl Eickhorn Niederrhein DaggerCarl Eickhorn Niederrhein DaggerCarl Eickhorn Niederrhein Dagger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Carl Eickhorn Niederrhein Dagger
    P
    Many

Ello

I'm not well versed on these either but I do own 1 example so obviously that makes me an expert!!

I think for 200 bucks you could have done a lot worse, the crossguard looks like it has never been messed with and there is crossgrain still evident on the blade, which has a lovely dark motto.

Someone will be along shortly to help, and also to tell you which area those three letters on the crossguard belong to.

Cheers

Jamie

Thank you! I know that the 3 letters on the cross guard stand for group Neiderrhein

Hi Eagle
    You have an early production period SA dagger which is also a Rohm dedication pattern dagger that had the dedication on the reverse blade ground off during the period. take a read through this link pinned at the top of this forum

June 30 1934 - Rohm inscription pattern

The SA Gruppe mark "Nrh you are correct is for the Niederhein area of Germany - see this link also
    SA Gruppe marks known to Dagger Producers and Manufacturers

The upper guard is an Eickhorn type and lower guard appears so due to the clarity of the photos..... unfortunately the grip which appears more an Friedrich Dick type grip having that dark cigar box appearance in color. The upper triangle is smaller than the standard early Eickhorn type.

this photo of the grip is from WRF Member dr73

The Scabbard should be turned around having the carrying ring on the right side of the dagger.
    Most impressive and rare usage of the hanger which I have never seen before but has a period snap clip attached. That hanger alone could be worth due do its rarity $200 or a bit less.

The scabbard throat in the photo appears also to have been replaced but the lighting of the photo gives that effect as the patina does not match the upper scabbard fitting.

I would say the dagger as a whole is all early period with an added grip from another producer. the lower guard is in question and would like to see closer photos including the reverse of that cool looking hanger

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thank Larry,
    I don't think this one was a Rohm dagger since the reverse of the blade doesn't show any evidence of the inscription of even the grinding marks. I had a feeling the hanger was out of the ordinary as well, here are more pictures.Carl Eickhorn Niederrhein DaggerCarl Eickhorn Niederrhein DaggerCarl Eickhorn Niederrhein DaggerCarl Eickhorn Niederrhein DaggerCarl Eickhorn Niederrhein DaggerCarl Eickhorn Niederrhein DaggerCarl Eickhorn Niederrhein Dagger

The reverse blade was factory ground making it undetectable . The proof is the use of the small Eickhorn logo moved 1/8 " away from the lower guard to give more room for the overall length of the Inscription.

you would of seen that if you opened or looked closer at the photo in the first link I posted.
    June 30 1934 - Rohm inscription pattern
    There is clearly a photo showing the small logo being used.
    Below is my partial Rohm with the ist pattern large double oval logo being used.

Vanity pretty much got in the way with Eickhorns logo and the dedication of Rohm being under the same lime light. It was decided to make the logo smaller giving more credence to Rohm and less to Eickhorn. After all the dagger was about the SA and Rohm and not about Eickhorn.

Your dagger IS a ground Rohm and a great piece of early history.
    The hanger attached is quite unique and period !
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Just out of curiousity ...is there a single digit number beneath the lower guard ?

Sorry for my misunderstanding Larry, I was not aware of the factory method of removing the Rohm inscription. No offense to your knowledge. To answer you other question, yes, there is a number 3 stamped on the lower guard

No problem Brother

That number beneath the guard secures the fact it is also an Eickhorn guard.
    That number was an inspection number put there by Eickhorns QC ..possible every 20 to 50 daggers produced. Not necessary to see on early Eickhorn daggers but for the type collector its a great detail of authenticity.

Do you see any swirl marks on the top side of the top guard?
    and do the blade shoulders meet the lower guard snugly or do you see gapping between the blade shoulder and the lower guard?

the reason why i ask and I want to eliminate any possibility the grip may not be Eickhorn

Best
    Larry

Larry,
    I do not understand what you mean by swirl marks on the top side of the top guard so I am going to provide some pictures.
    the shoulders of the blade meet tightly with the lower guard, not a bit of light shows through.Carl Eickhorn Niederrhein DaggerCarl Eickhorn Niederrhein DaggerCarl Eickhorn Niederrhein DaggerCarl Eickhorn Niederrhein DaggerCarl Eickhorn Niederrhein DaggerCarl Eickhorn Niederrhein DaggerCarl Eickhorn Niederrhein DaggerCarl Eickhorn Niederrhein DaggerCarl Eickhorn Niederrhein DaggerCarl Eickhorn Niederrhein Dagger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast