Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Early model SA Dienstdolch made by Aesculap Tuttlingen

Article about: Hello collectors, I wanted to show you my only SA dagger in collection so far. Its an early model Sa made by a very good maker Aesculap. Nice nickel fittings and SW marking. The detail and c

Default Early model SA Dienstdolch made by Aesculap Tuttlingen

Hello collectors,

I wanted to show you my only SA dagger in collection so far. Its an early model Sa made by a very good maker Aesculap. Nice nickel fittings and SW marking. The detail and craftmanship on this dagger is just amazing. It has a very nice laquered grip and beautiful patina on it. The blade has a very clear maker logo and cross graining visible in the blade.

missing 1 original nickel screw for the scabbard. If someone can help me out with an original screw would be nice
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early model SA Dienstdolch made by Aesculap Tuttlingen   Early model SA Dienstdolch made by Aesculap Tuttlingen  

Early model SA Dienstdolch made by Aesculap Tuttlingen   Early model SA Dienstdolch made by Aesculap Tuttlingen  

Early model SA Dienstdolch made by Aesculap Tuttlingen   Early model SA Dienstdolch made by Aesculap Tuttlingen  

Last edited by GermanCollector; 01-06-2024 at 10:11 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early model SA Dienstdolch made by Aesculap Tuttlingen
    P
    Many

Hello GC ...Nice find of this producer.
    On early SA daggers the scabbard is anodized also called a bluing process,,,,painted scabbards are seen on mid to late period RZM daggers.

Your scabbard has lost all its laquer and is common depending upon how and where it was stored.
    Nice to see an early oblong type snap clip

The grip shows a decent amount of laquer left which Aesculap always heavily applied it on their grips.
    In regards to getting another scabbard screw....IMO it would be best to not mess with putting another screw in to where the lower fitting threads may already be damaged...and there is no gaurantee that the next screw will go in evenly.

You have a decent early example and I would not mess with it further.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hello GC ...Nice find of this producer.
    On early SA daggers the scabbard is anodized also called a bluing process,,,,painted scabbards are seen on mid to late period RZM daggers.

Your scabbard has lost all its laquer and is common depending upon how and where it was stored.
    Nice to see an early oblong type snap clip

The grip shows a decent amount of laquer left which Aesculap always heavily applied it on their grips.
    In regards to getting another scabbard screw....IMO it would be best to not mess with putting another screw in to where the lower fitting threads may already be damaged...and there is no gaurantee that the next screw will go in evenly.

You have a decent early example and I would not mess with it further.

Regards Larry
    Thanks you for ur reaction and explanation Larry.
    Yes very happy with this dagger. When i bought this dagger i did not know that Aesculap was such a well known and pretty rare maker for early SA dagger so was nice to find out The scabbard still has a nice brown color to it, but it was laquered also?
    The previous owner has put a copper looking screw in the scabbard so maybe its even better to take the fake screw out?

Beautiful dagger
    -TJ-

Quote by GermanCollector View Post
    Thanks you for ur reaction and explanation Larry.
    Yes very happy with this dagger. When i bought this dagger i did not know that Aesculap was such a well known and pretty rare maker for early SA dagger so was nice to find out The scabbard still has a nice brown color to it, but it was laquered also?
    The previous owner has put a copper looking screw in the scabbard so maybe its even better to take the fake screw out?
    Not a rare producer at all and was in the #2 category in rarity out of 10 being the rarest. Yet as of just a few years ago ...I would say now the rarity is at #3 and can still be found in the market place. .....also early SA and SS initial production scabbards were laquered but not the same laquer used on grips being a heavier thickness seen on your grip. ...The laquer depending upon how it was carried or even cleaned would thin out leaving the anodized surface bare.

As I stated above...it depends how it was stored over the decades and what geological environment it was in.

Can you post a better photo of the scabbard fitting with the copper screw?

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill