Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Early SA gift dagger

Article about: Hello, I want to introduce my early SA gift dagger and of course, I know that it's always a question of faith. The patina is even, but the scabbard has been repainted. The engraving is even

?

Default Early SA gift dagger

Hello,

I want to introduce my early SA gift dagger and of course, I know that it's always a question of faith.
    The patina is even, but the scabbard has been repainted. The engraving is even and in the style of the time.
    The engraving refers to Hans Link, who was on the staff of the Reichsfuhrer (Reichs Leader School) School of the SA, on his 50th birthday.

The first Reichsfuhrer School was opened in Munich on June 15, 1931. It was supposed to guarantee a systematic training of the SA leadership.
    The institution, headed by SA group leader Kurt Kühme, focused on the ideological training of the course participants, who mostly spent four weeks here at the expense of the Reich leadership. Prominent NSDAP members often acted as teachers. Organizational, practical and legal issues were explained in the classroom. There was also a sporting program as well as trips to Italy.

The dagger was found near Munich,before the scabbard was repainted.

Even if there could be doubts, I think it is original. The engraving is old and it makes IMO no sense to "upgrate" a August Knecht dagger with a McSaar rating of 9.
    The reference to the Reichsfuhrer School of the SA also underlines the originality for me. For a forger it is much easier to only refer to the birthday and I doubt that a forger knows the Reichsfuhrer School in Munich, of all places, where many SA dagger collectors do not know it either.

For me it is a unique dagger but as already written, it is always a question of faith.Early SA gift daggerEarly SA gift daggerEarly SA gift daggerEarly SA gift daggerEarly SA gift daggerEarly SA gift daggerEarly SA gift dagger
    The pictures does not show it real, you need to have it in your hand on daylight.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early SA gift dagger
    P
    Many

Other than conditions issues

the upper scabbard fitting is missing 2 screws
    I did notice that where the Hans Link name appears ..that area seems to have been cleaned where as the the rest of the fittings are consistent in patination.
    and yes the scabbard is an obvious repaint.

IMO the engraving appears period done ...but I would like a more square photo of the dedication on the reverse upper scabbard fitting.
    The grip and guards belong together as well as the SA Gruppe mark.
    I like it

In regards to a forger ...it would make no difference to that person what dagger he does it too as I seen wrecked 9 and 10s with bogus engravings.

What Im seeing here IMO looks good.
    I would like to see member Willmore take a peek at the script as well.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Not the best engraving workmanship I've seen on these types of "personalized" SA daggers, but it's also not the worst. With the more decorative parts (IMO) better done than the inscription(s) lettering where the engraver seemed to have more problems. Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early SA gift dagger   Early SA gift dagger  

Attached Images Attached Images Early SA gift dagger 

?

Thank you Larry and Fred for your comments.
    I´ve tried to take a closer picture of the dedication on the upper scabbard fitting.Early SA gift dagger

?

And here is a daylight picture where the name appears, It looks so far okay for me.Early SA gift dagger

?

Great an interesting piece! Congrats!

Ron

?

In the first post, then in #4 post, the scabbard shows extreme rust pockmarks ... as bad as I have ever seen.

Yet there are no signs of distress to the grip ?

Thanks for the new images. As already commented on they leave me wondering what exactly is under the new paint?? Along with with some new thoughts on the engraved inscription etc. I don't have the time right now to try and image (not my forte) really good closeups of what traditional (personalized) engraving looks like. So in addition to a re-posting one of the last images posted, I've added a TR period engraved saber pommel to draw attention to the results of a traditional graver chiseling out the decoration being added. You can see how the hand engraving tool (graver) did it relatively smoothly (as compared to the thread starter which is more difficult to see with a lower resolution image). Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early SA gift dagger   Early SA gift dagger  

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    Thanks for the new images. As already commented on they leave me wondering what exactly is under the new paint?? Along with with some new thoughts on the engraved inscription etc. I don't have the time right now to try and image (not my forte) really good closeups of what traditional (personalized) engraving looks like. So in addition to a re-posting one of the last images posted, I've added a TR period engraved saber pommel to draw attention to the results of a traditional graver chiseling out the decoration being added. You can see how the hand engraving tool (graver) did it relatively smoothly (as compared to the thread starter which is more difficult to see with a lower resolution image). Best Regards, Fred
    I have to disagree Fred, you can't compare the engraving you posted, with text.
    It is totally different.
    The text being short, abrupt strokes, and the image you posted are longer, sweeping strokes.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Im curious of what kind of engraving tool would leave those deep cut lines within the lettering of the text.
    The engraver IMO really hacked up the " Geburtstag " towards the end.

If this was supposed to be for a 50th birthday ..I would expect a cleaner job.
    Im not trying to pour cold water on it ...but just my observations.

Do the upper scabbard fitting screw holes line up with the runner throat holes?

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast