Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Etched Dedication SA dagger at auction please take a look & advise

Article about: Saw this RZM Eickhorn dagger at auction. The dedication is unique and rarely seen, but, is it original? I think it is & am having thoughts about bidding on this and the question is is it

Default Etched Dedication SA dagger at auction please take a look & advise

Saw this RZM Eickhorn dagger at auction. The dedication is unique and rarely seen, but, is it original? I think it is & am having thoughts about bidding on this and the question is is it era etched or post war? Who is the person named in the etch?

Thank you for your comments & opinions on this dedication etched SA.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Etched Dedication SA dagger at auction please take a look & advise   Etched Dedication SA dagger at auction please take a look & advise  

Etched Dedication SA dagger at auction please take a look & advise   Etched Dedication SA dagger at auction please take a look & advise  

Etched Dedication SA dagger at auction please take a look & advise   Etched Dedication SA dagger at auction please take a look & advise  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Etched Dedication SA dagger at auction please take a look & advise
    P
    Many

Hi Rich.

I can’t help with authenticity etc, but I would read the engraving as

- In herzlicher Kamradenshaft Rudolf Böhm Sturmbann III/I3 Reichenhall 16.2.36

Kind regards,

Will.

Edit - While I was searching for more information I actually found an old thread which I think is about the same dagger.

Inscribed SA dagger

Quote by Willmore View Post
    Hi Rich.

Edit - While I was searching for more information I actually found an old thread which I think is about the same dagger.

Inscribed SA dagger
    It is, same details on the fittings.
    Ralph.

Actually, after closer inspection, the fittings are different, as is the handle.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    It is, same details on the fittings.
    Ralph.

Actually, after closer inspection, the fittings are different, as is the handle.
    That’s what I am thinking Ralph. I know next to nothing about these daggers, so wasn’t sure if each dedication was unique to one blade (apart from Röhm dedications).

I thought it was the same blade, but someone has replaced the other parts with ones that are in better condition.

Kind regards,

Will.

Willmore thankyou for that link...it helps greatly.
    I agree also the fittings were changed out at some point in time.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Auction closed, did not bid on it but the hammer price was much lower than expected. Thank you for the replies!

With these things I hesitate more today than my previous collecting mania years of 20 -30 years ago, and with this info, Thank You for posting this link, hesitancy seems to come from the gut and has proved to be beneficial, too many questions.....

Thank you Willmore for posting this - Quote "While I was searching for more information I actually found an old thread which I think is about the same dagger"

Inscribed SA dagger

Here is the hammer price link if your interested:

Stunning SA Dagger with Custom Inscription by Eickhorn (#0921) on Dec 05, 2021 | Valkyrie Historical Auctions in AZ

Last edited by Larry C; 12-06-2021 at 03:19 AM.

The link will expire and if someone could find out the sold price ...to see how much this buyer threw away.

@ Rich..the link will be removed eventually ..if you know the sold price ..please post it.
    Thankyou

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    The link will expire and if someone could find out the sold price ...to see how much this buyer threw away.

@ Rich..the link will be removed eventually ..if you know the sold price ..please post it.
    Thankyou

Regards Larry
    Larry, threw away is 100% correct.

Bid history and sales price:

Stunning SA Dagger with Custom Inscription by Eickhorn
    Estimate
    $1,000-$1,500
    Dec 05, 2021
    Sold for
    $1,700
    BIDDER BID
    COMPETING BID $1,700.00
    COMPETING BID $1,600.00
    COMPETING BID $1,500.00
    INTERNET BID $1,400.00
    COMPETING BID $1,300.00
    INTERNET BID $1,200.00
    INTERNET BID $1,100.00
    STARTING PRICE $50.00

Tried to get a copy of the page but difficult to do that for some reason and all I am getting is the link to the sold page. So I copied and pasted the results seen above in Word.

?

Nice thing now is that the old thread is woven into this one, all can see that the original fittings did not match the date thats on the blade, and that inbetween this post and the first thread someone rebuilded this dagger.
    All in all not collectible for the serieus collector anymore (if it was in the first place? )

Best
    Ger

Quote by gerrit View Post
    Nice thing now is that the old thread is woven into this one, all can see that the original fittings did not match the date thats on the blade, and that inbetween this post and the first thread someone rebuilded this dagger.
    All in all not collectible for the serieus collector anymore (if it was in the first place? )

Best
    Ger
    What made me not bid was the dedication not matching the SA standardt that the blade was supposed to be associated with.

I asked myself if you were ordering this for someone as an award piece, would you want to see 2 different types, actually 3 differing types of etches on the blade?

I've never seen that before and the only different etch might possibly be the Deutchland Uber Alles vs any etch as the motto is the standard etch.

When looking at Himmler and Rohm dedicated daggers the etches are similar to the motto on the blade in depth and darkness or parkerizing of the etch for lack of better description of the darkness if the letters of the etch.

So why would this be any different? That just did not make sense to me.

I did own at one time an SA dagger that did have a differing etch and dedication. Wittman sold it to me but after getting it and holding it for awhile I returned it in partial trade for an SS XVII Abschnitt flag as I became uncomfortable with it after doing more research. The etch was actually an poor engraving that looked to be done by a jeweler, something that was far out of the realm of reality. But that was supposedly acceptable for the sales listing.

Yes, it is a good piece of collector information to have these threads available because at some point that dagger will grow legs and be sold to someone not knowing the cloud of unoriginal pieces and etch. What is really sad is it becomes 1 less original piece that looses its historic value for what it really was.