Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

F.ED. Ohliger

Article about: Hello everyone, was able to acquire this beautiful Ohliger SA dagger this weekend. From my research I believe it to be an early example, and one of the more interesting parts about it is the

?

Default F.ED. Ohliger

Hello everyone, was able to acquire this beautiful Ohliger SA dagger this weekend.

From my research I believe it to be an early example, and one of the more interesting parts about it is the SA group Westmark stamp on the guard. I'm absolutely elated over this one
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture F.ED. Ohliger   F.ED. Ohliger  

F.ED. Ohliger   F.ED. Ohliger  

F.ED. Ohliger  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement F.ED. Ohliger
    P
    Many

?

WOW! A real beauty indeed, congrats!!

Hi Wally one of the more rarer producers to be seen and some decent crossgrain. You are correct as this is early produced and from what I can see in the photo the only flaw is that the scabbard appears to be the mid period type being painted. Other than that its a decent Early SA dagger.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Nice rare SA you got, only shame is that it do not have orginal svabbard with it.

?

This is really a beautiful piece!!
    Congrats!!!

Ron

?

Thanks for the reply's everyone! I was wondering for future reference how I can tell if a scabbard is early, mid or late? I would greatly appreciate being linked to a thread discussing it or if someone could explain it here.

Best, Wally

?

a beauty!.

Okey so, the earliest scabbard examples are anodized. Those have solid nickel fittings, over the anodizing is a thin protective lacquer coating as the later ones come with paint. Where the lacquer remains you can see shiny finish and where only anodizing exists, it dulls to a matte finish.

The painted scabbard was adopted after the anodized scabbards, first assembled painted scabbards used up the remainder of the solid nickel fittings and very soon after adopted the plated steel based fittings and lates ones we see zinc based plated fittings.

Early scabbard:

F.ED. Ohliger

Mid period scabbard (Thomas Wittmann):

F.ED. Ohliger

?

A Very Nice one Wally.
    She looks great!!!
    Congrat's

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Lovely dagger with great crossgrain and great fit!
    as larry pointed out the scabbard is not the one thats been issued at the plant but replaced later.
    You can see the gap between the lower guard and the throat of the scabbard, normally the fit between those should be tight.
    Other then that a nice dagger!

Ger