Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with this - Real or repro ?

Article about: Have opportunity to buy.What do you all think?

Default Help with this - Real or repro ?

Have opportunity to buy.What do you all think?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with this - Real or repro ?   Help with this - Real or repro ?  

Help with this - Real or repro ?   Help with this - Real or repro ?  

Help with this - Real or repro ?  
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 01-16-2017 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Spelling and grammar.......

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with this - Real or repro ?
    P
    Many

Just realized I posted this in LW.Obviously it's a SA.It's my first post guys, give me a break !!!

MAP
    ?

Welcome Tlake. Appears the gods...I mean the Mods have moved it to the correct forum. I'm sure that others will be around shortly to provide input on this dagger.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Close ups are nice to have, but some photos that take in more of the dagger would be helpful if you can get them. It's difficult to gauge overall condition from these photos. Does it have a scabbard? I for one would like to see the grip, crossguard, and pommel in one shot. This helps us gauge if the dagger parts look like they were originally together.

Sometimes collectors replace or swap out parts over the years, and they don't always fit together as nicely as all original daggers. When that's the case, it's good to know since that does detract from the piece. I can say the blade indicates it would be what's called a transitional dagger, from the short period between when makers produced daggers that simply bear their name, vs the later war period when the RZM enforced protocol that required they simply use their RZM maker code.

I'm a little concerned about the eagle in the grip. The chipping in the wood around it, and the fit in some places makes me wonder if that part may have been replaced. Perhaps one of the experienced SA dagger folks could comment on that... Wood can shrink explaining the fit around the swastika perhaps, but the chipping can be a sign of tampering as I have learned from research.

Blade has a fair amount of pitting to it, making it below average to average quality IMO. Nice to see the SA emblem in the grip has its enamel though. Those often are missing some or all of that. They gave you a terrible photo of the hanger, but from what I can see in the blur it looks authentic if I had to venture a guess. Better photos would provide certainty though.

See what others have to say, but I expect folks would prefer some wider images, and some of the scabbard. Besides originality, the collectability of a piece is very much also about if it all belongs together, or if it's a put together which significantly impacts its value if it clearly is.

her's a couple moreHelp with this - Real or repro ?Help with this - Real or repro ?Help with this - Real or repro ?

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    Scott is correct in the fact that this is a transitional dagger bearing the maker's mark as well as the RZM code..
    It has plated fittings which do appear to fit onto the handle nicely. I would not be worried about the nicks beside the eagle, if the eagle is recessed a little too much, those nicks will occur from normal use. This dagger does appear to have been taken apart from what I can see of the tang nut. I don't really see much pitting on the blade per say, but there is a fair amount of greying, which can not be removed without damaging the blade. From what I can se of the hanger, it appears to be okay also.
    Ralph.

P.S. I have moved your thread to the correct section of the forum.
    P.P.S. Your last photos need to be more in focus like your first ones.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

It looks to be a somewhat later Transitional Period Wilhelm Wagner. From what I can tell(the photos need to be focused) I am not seeing anything glaringly wrong about it. From the condition of the blade, it's been long time stored improperly-the blade may have been oily or damp and the whole thing was kept in a place like a basement.

The paint on the sheath looks good and in decent condition, as does the wood of the grip and the fit to the plated guards. The grip eagle is particularly nice and tells us that this dagger was not carried all that much in it's career. From the lack of paint chips on the sheath and no dings in the wood-as well as the very nice hanger-I would venture a guess that this piece was possibly never issued.

The fingerprint stains on the blade are probably those from the GI who found it and casually touched and handled it without wiping it off after. The blade, as said, is abit cruddy-it can be cleaned up but you'll never really get it back to where it should have looked like. Less is generally more, when it comes to cleaning up blades. You might try something like semichrome or Flitz, but don't over do it. Are all of the screws in the sheath?

It is difficult to see from the photos. Overall, from what I can see of it, a good dagger in lower grade condition but certainly collectable. I wouldn't pay a ton for it due to the blade, but the nice leather hanger alone is of decent value.
    Last edited by Larry C; 01-16-2017 at 02:38 AM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Sorry to separate your text William..I get lost into the block about halfway in..and lose the plot

FrogPrinz does this also .

I like the dagger and thanks for the extra pics "Tlake" ...a rarity to find this producer with transitional logos. Nice find

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

You're a Mod, so I won't say what I'm thinking, Larry! lol Usually, I just type away as I'm sitting there thinking and looking. Not really looking at the paragraphing structures...but the dagger Is a good piece,regardless! (so long as he doesn't pay a fortune for it,of course)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast