Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How much is this SA Dagger worth?

Article about: Hi all, I'm just wondering how much it's worth. I have never seen this maker before. I traded this dagger for a SD M40 Luftwaffe helmet and I want to know if I got burned lol

Default How much is this SA Dagger worth?

Hi all, I'm just wondering how much it's worth. I have never seen this maker before.

I traded this dagger for a SD M40 Luftwaffe helmet and I want to know if I got burned lol
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How much is this SA Dagger worth?   How much is this SA Dagger worth?  

How much is this SA Dagger worth?   How much is this SA Dagger worth?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How much is this SA Dagger worth?
    P
    Many

Default Re: How much is this SA Dagger worth?

I like the way it looks, very nice SA dagger you have there.

Brian

I don't think you got burned, but it is hard to say how well you did
    without having seen the helmet. This is a rare maker,
    and it is in excellent condition.

I have seen ads for similar daggers from $800 to $1200, which is
    quite a bit more than an excellent SD Luft.

It truly is in great shape, with a nice bright blade with a beautifully
    etched motto, and good nickel hardware, except for a little dirt
    or wear on the SA logo, which is normal.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

The hilt markings " WF " , would stand for - Westfalen.

A very nice SA dagger.

Hope this helps

Brian

Here's the helmet...

I just have more interest in helmets than daggers, that's why I did it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How much is this SA Dagger worth?   How much is this SA Dagger worth?  

Condition wise, the dagger appears to rates Excellent+ to Mint-, from what I can see in the photos. Your blade appears to retain the vast majority of it's crossgraining, a plus which serious SA/SS dagger collectors require. The motto looks good. Mottos are always tough to tell though from photos. However, it looks good and it doesn't appear to have been "re-burnished". Grip to fittings fit appears very good. The grip appears to be an great condition, as does the grip eagle and the SA button. The snug fit between the grip and the daggers upper and lower fitting(crossguard) appear very nice, and wouldn't indicate any "messing with". Scabbard looks to retain all of it's annodizing/painting and as well the scabbard fittings appear complete.

I don't have a copy of Mike Mac's McSaar scale so I am not comfortable speaking to scarcity/commonality.

OK- now that we've disected the dagger, visually anyway, assigning a value is difficult. Best to search google, and search reputable dealers sites for an SA dagger from the same manufacturer, in comprable condition, find the price, then subtract 25%-35% off the top, and you should have a failry accurate idea of what the dagger is "worth", using the private party to private party scale....people who valuate their collectoins based entirely off dealers list prices are grossly over estimating the values of their pieces and their collection at large....they'll be in for a rude shock when they attempt to sell their dagger for $2K and someone only offers them $1400 let's say. Worse yet with ascertaining a value on ANY antique collectible, is simply that an "item is only worth what a person is willing pay for it". We've all seen items sit fordays, weeks, months on the e-stand on sites like WAF...good pieces..not repros and hacked together parts garbage- simply stated, the owner wants entirely too much. Again, value is dictated by demand.

So, short story wayyyy toooo long, see if you can find a near identical piece fro the same company. It's critical to compare apples to apples, because to the serious and astoot SA collector, manufacturer plays an important part in determining how much they'll offer.

I cannot comment on if you got burned or not since A- don't know what a single decal Luft helmet on average sells for B- unable to assing a value to the dagger. Some research and I think you'll find the answer..either good or bad. It's out there, you need to just find it.

It's a really nice looking SA. Great conditioned pieces typically have no problem selling, even in tougher, leaner economic times. So an ivestment in a quality, excellent conditioned piece is a good way to insulate yourself from ultra polar fluctuations.

Nice piece, again. She's a perdy one.

Tommy

?

you have a $750 -1000, helmet there vs a similar price SA.

The only thing is the maker of the dagger is unusual.

Why do you ask here now, after the trade? Can you trade back? would you want to? why?
    If you like helmets and have a new one you like, be content.
    If you think you got the wrong side of a deal, then go back in time, fight WW2 and see what you can do.

Quote by jws54 View Post
    you have a $750 -1000, helmet there vs a similar price SA.

The only thing is the maker of the dagger is unusual.

Why do you ask here now, after the trade? Can you trade back? would you want to? why?
    If you like helmets and have a new one you like, be content.
    If you think you got the wrong side of a deal, then go back in time, fight WW2 and see what you can do.
    No, I don't want to trade back. I was just curious.

Thanks for all the info guys

?

Hi thats a lovely condition SA by a rare maker which rates on the Mcsarr list as a 10 making it one of the scarcest makers around, you have done a great deal for the luft helmet imo

If scarcity rates a 10, then you should be in good shape. YOu always want to be able to sell/trade the dagger for at least what you paid. Based on conditon and scarcity rating, I don't think you'll have a problem doing that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast