Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

My Early SA Dagger w/ Three Piece Hangar

Article about: Hello all, this is my Early SA Dagger w/ Three Piece Hangar. It is perhaps my favorite piece. I just want to know how to display it properly. I have a very nice display case for it (see phot

Default My Early SA Dagger w/ Three Piece Hangar

Hello all, this is my Early SA Dagger w/ Three Piece Hangar. It is perhaps my favorite piece. I just want to know how to display it properly. I have a very nice display case for it (see photos), but I am still unsure how to show it off the best I can. Should I have the blade out or should I leave the scabbard on? Should I leave the case open? If the case is closed will the dagger get damaged with the glass being pushed against it? If you have any other suggestions please let me know. Thank you all for your help in advance.

Jack

My Early SA Dagger w/ Three Piece HangarMy Early SA Dagger w/ Three Piece Hangar

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Early SA Dagger w/ Three Piece Hangar
    P
    Many

?

I would display it with the dagger out of the scabbard unless the blade is messed up. I have had daggers in Riker mounts and the glass hasn’t caused any problems. I live in a very dry climate so this could be different in wet climate. I like to display other items with my daggers. A SA buckle or armband would look goods. A SA sport shirt insignia with the same Gau marking would be interesting.

Hi Jack...how deep is the display case ?

There are 2 options you can perform you can either cut out the foam interior which should allow the dagger to sit lower ...or remove the bottom of the case and cut another piece of that thickness wood and place it on the outside bottom of the display case..that also will yield you 3/16 " more space on the bottom.

Im quite sure there are many other ideas from our community here that would also be helpful.
    Who is the producer of the dagger ?
    Could you post your dagger separately for the community to admire?

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

MAP
    ?

A front opening shadow box will give you all the room you need.

I historically have used a brand called Timeless Frames. See link below. The can be hung on the wall or displayed flat or standing up on a table. I've used them for daggers in the past before moving my daggers to a cabinet. A bit of clear fishing line will hold the dagger in place.

View - Front Opening Shadow Box - Furniture Brown 5x7 - Shadow Box | Timeless Frames

The fact that it is front opening gives you immediate access. Plus you want to add a nice backing (I like red velvet). Add in one or two SA items like a Sports badge or belt buckle to complete the display

Another member he has used them as well. See link below.

The opening front shadowbox.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks for the help, Larry. I was able to cut out some foam, and the dagger looks wonderful inside, without the glass pressing against it. The maker is Ed. Wusthof of Solingen. Here are some photos. My Early SA Dagger w/ Three Piece HangarMy Early SA Dagger w/ Three Piece HangarMy Early SA Dagger w/ Three Piece HangarMy Early SA Dagger w/ Three Piece HangarMy Early SA Dagger w/ Three Piece Hangar

I would rotate your dagger, making the handle to the top left, with the hanger above the handle.
    Remove the dagger from the scabbard and place them side by side. You can leave the part of the hanger that goes around the handle on the handle, separate them with the clip as was intended.
    The rest looks fine!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

The blade looks in great shape so why not take it out of the scabbard and display it ?

Then look for an SA tinny or sports badge or rank badge to put towards one corner.

Dave

PS: I avoid having leather touching the crossguard or blade because verdigris (green crud) will form

Hi Jack...you have a very nice Wustoff with the 3 pc rig.

I like that coppery looking anodizing.
    Looks great in the display case as well

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Final Update - took out the foam, so the display case is pretty much a shadow box, and I put a badge and armband in it. I think it completes the look of SA. Photo on the right I found on google and printed out and framed it, adds a nice touch. Thank you all for your help with this.

Best Regards,

Jack

?

Nice dagger and you will find a way that maximizes the items in the display
    I would have swithed the armband with the award, that will open up the space above the blade, given it a bit more attention.

Best
    Ger