Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Partial Röhm in need of TLC

Article about: I saw Larry recently posted page 2 of his thread someone else's post https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/dagge...enance-228130/ It made me look at my 5 SAs and sadly it appears my veteran capture

Default Partial Röhm in need of TLC

I saw Larry recently posted page 2 of his thread someone else's post Periodic Edged Weapon Maintenance

It made me look at my 5 SAs and sadly it appears my veteran captured partial Röhm has similar issues. It came to me in this condition, and I keep all my SAs out of their scabbards in a room where the temperature is pretty controlled. However, I rarely wipe them down with anything other than a microfiber cloth. Currently not coated.

How should I clean the black out of these pits and other spots? Unfortunately multiple areas of concern on this one.

I've seen people suggest WD-40, "hoofs oil", ren wax, Simichrome more so as a preservative but is there anything I can apply that will break this down enough to simply be wiped off rather than having to pick at it? I don't want to create a microclimate and trap any remaining corrosion under it.

I use this product on my firearms, so I wonder if it'd be a good fit: Ballistol - The Original CLP - Cleans, Lubricates, Preserves

Partial Röhm in need of TLCPartial Röhm in need of TLCPartial Röhm in need of TLCPartial Röhm in need of TLC

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Partial Röhm in need of TLC
    P
    Many

Now I know where Hitlers globe went from the Chancellery

Now seeing that there is a bit of cancer on the blade ...which the blade itself has alot of topical grime....simichrome will clean that up alot ...the cancer can be handled in a couple of ways...without picking at it.

Either a little simichrome and a Q tip..or remove the blade from the rest of the dagger and dip it in WD40 ...but I would wait for Gerrit or some others who would have a better application using those cleaner types.
    You waited 80 years since the production of this dagger...a few more days until more thoughts can be posted helping to remove this blade cancer.

BTW...Thats a very nice Anton Wingen Partial Rohm ...we dont see too many of these

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

This image indicates that someone has used a rotary tool on this blade, and there appears to be a crack in the blade.
    Ralph.

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    This image indicates that someone has used a rotary tool on this blade, and there appears to be a crack in the blade.
    Ralph.

It's not a crack, much easier to tell in person. Also this was customized by the capturing veteran, so I'm not surprised at what he used.

Quote by akriener View Post
    It's not a crack, much easier to tell in person. Also this was customized by the capturing veteran, so I'm not surprised at what he used.
    That's what happens when a strand that breaks free from fabric, possibly a cleaning towel used years ago is left to sit against the metal. The strand absorbs moisture from condensation caused by temperature change and is a moisture magnet holding moisture against the steel then leaving it's distorted foot print of corrosion.

What ever "oil" you use, only allow a 48-72 hour contact to the metal, then wipe it free. Then apply Renwax. You see that strand corrosion vein, that's because who ever wiped the blade down did not see that left behind, oiled it and stuck it back in the scabbard thinking all is good, never went back to check it to insure all is good when in fact it's not. Ask me how I know, I degraded a mint Teno officer dagger doing the same. Expensive mistake.
    Last edited by Rich Moran; 05-20-2022 at 06:51 AM.

Take a look at this! Blade was absolutely filthy, and still not clean. That's just about five minutes with a microfiber cloth and already a big improvement on the problem areas. Swas censored from a post on Facebook.

?

Im not a great fan of using semi chrome on a crossgrain blade, but in this case you did the only way you can to prevent the cancer-spidering from growing.
    Now you need to seal it with renwax.

Ger

Quote by gerrit View Post
    Im not a great fan of using semi chrome on a crossgrain blade, but in this case you did the only way you can to prevent the cancer-spidering from growing.
    Now you need to seal it with renwax.

Ger
    I'm debating on working on it a little more to try and get the rest.

I feel you done enough...as from the photos you provided ..is that you got all of it....and whats left is some pock marks or scarring in the steel from the cancer.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill