Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Post-war use of an NSKK dagger

Article about: I recently found this dagger online and needed quite a bit of time to convince the owner to sell it to me. As it's scabbard seems to have black paint on it i believe it's an NSKK dagger, and

Default Post-war use of an NSKK dagger

I recently found this dagger online and needed quite a bit of time to convince the owner to sell it to me.
    As it's scabbard seems to have black paint on it i believe it's an NSKK dagger, and eventhough it's pretty ruined, it has an interesting story.

The debateable side of this story is that it's been taken OR found by a hungarian soldier at the Don river front in 1942, and this person has taken the dagger home with him.
    What is a fact that it has been in the same family up until a few years ago and has been used to butcher pigs with it, hence the blade has been absolutely ruined and the crossguards cut. As Hungary was occupied by the soviets and as anywhere, nazi memoribilia & symbols were strictly forbidden, the eagle has been somewhat horribly removed and the handle has been painted with shiny black paint.
    The only reason I really wanted it is for it's scabbard, that my late war SA dagger (last pic) is missing. Finding scabbard for a reasonable price seemed to be impossible to me in the last few months.
    The set only cost me about $200.

Now finally I have a nice and salty, full set and an interesting ruin in my collection.

I hope you enjoyed this thread.

(You could give me tips how to remove the black paint.)

Post-war use of an NSKK daggerPost-war use of an NSKK daggerPost-war use of an NSKK daggerPost-war use of an NSKK daggerAttachment 1501190Post-war use of an NSKK dagger
    Last edited by konyabp; 05-04-2021 at 05:32 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Post-war use of an NSKK dagger
    P
    Many

I can believe the story about being used post war.

For example a friend of mine has an original Flieger-Kappmesser (Luftwaffe Gravity knife), it just sits in his garden shed and in his own words ‘I use it to cut my bean canes’.

I have tried many times to buy it from him, but he won’t sell it because his father in law (ww2 veteran who picked it up during the war) gave it to him.

?

Good and believable story. The killing and processing of a pig is still a family activity in rural Hungarian areas. I was once a guest to one of these events. We already drank strong Pálinka at 6 AM in the morning when the piggy was brought in.

Yes, this is true, I have seen many daggers used by soviet soldiers too - something like a field knife.
    The only part I have trouble believing is that it has been obtained during the 1942-43 operations near the Don front. Altough it's not completely impossible, but i highly doubt an NSKK member would have had this in military operations on the Eastern Front.

Vocht, as a hungarian I can tell you sometimes the partipicants get too excited and are already quite drunk by 6 am, making the whole process lengthy and hilarious, altough not for the pig. I wonder how many piggies met their end by this dagger.

The only story I can see in front of me right now is a horrible to a piece of history.
    The scabbard appears to be NSKK.

Also its not necessary to cover up the runes button. We are not politically correct here and this forum studies and researches history.

I am also leaning on the scabbard possibly being early due to the patina...but photos only show what appears to be.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill