Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rare find Transitional SA

Article about: Hello Gents I would like to hear your opinions about a very early transitional SA dagger Gebr. Grafrath, Solingen” with RZM and M7/30 from my son Rafael. Rafaëldaggers | Rafaeldaggers.jouwwe

Cor
    ?

Default Rare find Transitional SA

Hello Gents I would like to hear your opinions about a very early transitional SA dagger Gebr. Grafrath, Solingen” with RZM M7/30 from my son Rafael. Rafaëldaggers | Rafaeldaggers.jouwweb.nl

This Early Transitional dagger is a beauty, having all old nickel mounts throughout so as the eagle. The crossguards are in fine old nickel condition, having good crisp edges, smooth surfaces, and precise accent grooves. The lower reverse crossguard is Gruppe marked, “Ns” (very rare for a trantitional).

The blade grades in Mint condition, and bears a very deeply etched motto with darkening in the letters.

The scabbard shell is straight throughout. This shell has absolutely perfect, purplish anodized surfaces (also very rare for a transitional).

So this dagger has all the hallmarks of an early one except the double makers logo.

Regards,
    Cor

See;

Last edited by Cor; 08-31-2014 at 09:49 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rare find Transitional SA
    P
    Many

I Like it and have a reservation...the only issue I see..is the crossgrain on the reverse is very prominent..compared to the front of the blade. First I have seen of this type of transitional type. Im not calling it fake..but calling the blade questionable...and being cautious. There is a 1/4" inch angle differential in the crossgrain...maybe nothing but according to the provided photos..this is what it appears.

The Gruppe mark "Ns" Niedersachen..means nothing to a transitional dagger..and the guard was used from pre-exisitng stock. A " Possibility " may exist that the dagger was never issued and regrained at a later date applying the RZM code.... ( When I say possibility,.. it is only a matter of opinion and not to be taken as fact or authentic . )

I will dig further into this tonight and post any other relevant information. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Cor
    ?

Thanks Larry,

I've asked more pictures. This is one I've had already. The dagger fits perfectly.

Regards,
    Cor

And here are the new pic's. Maby it helps a little.

Last edited by Cor; 08-30-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Thankyou Cor for providing additional pics..you have a very rare transitional. hang on to it.

RZM permit issued as early as 10/01/1934 and went on to make HJ knives NSKK , Dress bayonets and Firemans Dress bayonets.

This company was acquired by SA Maker Kuno Ritter in 1961..and as of 2009 presently still in operation today. Regards Larry

Check out this link for other transitional makers wardaggers.com - German Dagger RZM Codes and SA Daggers
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Cor
    ?

Thanks for the good research. The dagger was brought as souvenir from Normandy (France) about 8 years ago by the seller from this store; Static Line Military - Jean-Michel Selles : Sommaire

Tanks for response,

Rafael & Cor

?

Hi Cor,

im having some reserves about this one.
    You say it has a perfect fit, i dont share your opinion.
    The last picture shows a pretty big cap between the throat and the lower guard, as you now the early ones fit much better.
    I dont think this crossguard belongs to this dagger, it is not making sense to have a guard with a gaumarking ( issued dagger) and a transitional blade.
    If the guard wouldnt have been marked it had stand a chance.
    Now i think its an anomaly, sorry but im leaning more towards a partdaggers.

Regards,
    Ger

Cor
    ?

Hi Ger, I thought you had seen more daggers than this only one

Is this one not good also?

SA E.P.&S + Stormnummer | Rafaeldaggers.jouwweb.nl

Regards,
    Cor

?

Cor you are asking opinions about this dagger.
    Problem with asking opinions is that you might not Always get the answers you like.
    My opinion is that this Gaumarked guard does not Original belongs to the blade, like it or not, this is my opinion.
    You stated that it has a perfect fit, sorry it has not, im just giving my thoughts about this one, not trying to diss this dagger in any way.
    Of course ive seen more early ones that didnt had a perfect fit, but they werent claimed as being perfect.

Sorry if my opinion does not reflect your thoughts.

Regards,
    Ger

I can take both sides of these opinions...yes Gerrit is right that the fit is not exact and there is a slight gap.....and I can also understand when there is a mix of parts from early to transitional...some producers will vary in fit. In Cors first dagger I agree there are a mix of parts...( early Crossguard and mid period scabbard fitting )....But these are matter of opinions. For me Transitionals to Late will show its workmanship....which can be quite lacking. Regards Larry

Cor
    ?

Hello Ger, placing a reaction usually also has reactions. Haircloving about marginal imperfections I leave for what it is. I can only say that I have had the dagger in hands and the overall state of the fit is perfect (as a used early one). The blade also goes into the scabbart like a glove. The discussion about the Gruppe mark seems interesting.

Regards,
    Cor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast