Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

For REVIEW - SA Dagger M7/85 (Arthur Evertz)

Article about: Gents - I picked up this RZM SA Dagger at the recent Max Show. It was a good show and it was great to meet Larry in person! Lots of daggers to look at. Anyway, I marked this one as “need h

?

Question For REVIEW - SA Dagger M7/85 (Arthur Evertz)

Gents - I picked up this RZM SA Dagger at the recent Max Show. It was a good show and it was great to meet Larry in person! Lots of daggers to look at. Anyway, I marked this one as “need help” because I have a question on this dagger. When I arrived home today, I noticed this dagger is slightly longer (by approx 1/4” inch) than my other daggers (!!!). Placing this dagger (unsheathed) next to an early SA, there is actually no difference in length of the actual dagger - it’s the scabbard that holds the extra length. I have attached photos for your perusal. Has anyone seen this before? I didn’t realize there could be variations in the scabbard as such. Opinions?
    Cheers- Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture For REVIEW - SA Dagger M7/85 (Arthur Evertz)   For REVIEW - SA Dagger M7/85 (Arthur Evertz)  

For REVIEW - SA Dagger M7/85 (Arthur Evertz)   For REVIEW - SA Dagger M7/85 (Arthur Evertz)  

For REVIEW - SA Dagger M7/85 (Arthur Evertz)   For REVIEW - SA Dagger M7/85 (Arthur Evertz)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement For REVIEW - SA Dagger M7/85 (Arthur Evertz)
    P
    Many

I haven't seen anything like this before, maybe it correspond wearers length? As we know Viktor Lutze was a tall man and he wears longer SA dagger.

For REVIEW - SA Dagger M7/85 (Arthur Evertz)
    -TJ-

Hi Dan...and also it was great to meet you and spend time with you chatting and sharing.
    I look forward to the next show to meet up with you again.

With this dagger and it is known in Edged Weapon collector circles that variations have happened during the 3 production period and ranged from fine to coarse crossgrain types ...and higher center ridge lines on Late production pieces.
    Also some Art work changes happened as well for more aesthetic appeal..as with the Germans it was it was all about fashion in everything they produced in all spheres.

Uniforms tailoring
    Helmets, daggers, caps, etc

Yet the lower fitting on the Late example is longer giving the impression the whole dagger is longer.
    I have seen many early grip eagle variations have a longer wing span to a shorter stubby ...and then there are the SA Christmas daggers that had the 1929 style SA eagle in the grip.

I see no issues at all with the lower fitting being longer as changes happened throughout the production period.
    Also to be expected that the dagger producers bought these scabbards wholesale from an outside source.

Like boxes of shoelaces to a pair of dress shoes or sneakers.

If you take a look into the Heer dagger subforum ...these daggers themselves have a ton of mix and match producer fittings and also to each Heer producer their own hand enhancements and also Variations. That is a study and a challenge in itself ..but yet Members Gerrit and dr73 have broken through that confusion with their own Heer book.

Long story short : ...Alot has happened during those production periods and I feel more has changed with the mid to late period daggers than did to the early production period types.

You did well and glad to see you here posting .

Chat soon
    Best Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Zook,

Sword lengths varied with the height of the wearer but dagger lengths did not.

The difference in scabbard lengths is not unusual, but seldom noticed. Most collectors do not check this.

Even at the very start of SA daggers, there were differences. The photo below shows the difference in scabbard lengths between two EP&S Christmas daggers !For REVIEW - SA Dagger M7/85 (Arthur Evertz)

?

Thanks Larry and Dave ! — great points. Yes, thankfully, my dagger is spot on with the specs on the handle, blade, etc… it’s just that slight variation in scabbard length (similar to Dave’s pic above).
    I’ll study some of those sub forums you mention in this thread. Thanks for the insights and review!
    Great info. Dan

?

In fact its only visible when its besides one with a normal lenght, not noticeable in wear.
    Its a nice late dagger.

Ger