Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

SA 1933 Service Dagger, SA-Gruppe Westfalen by Carl Eickhorn

Article about: Hello everyone, I am adding my first piece to my future collection. I won this dagger in a normal internet auction, thanks to a lot of luck and probably due to saturation (an hour before thi

Post SA 1933 Service Dagger, SA-Gruppe Westfalen by Carl Eickhorn

Hello everyone, I am adding my first piece to my future collection. I won this dagger in a normal internet auction, thanks to a lot of luck and probably due to saturation (an hour before this auction, 3 SA daggers were auctioned), after watching the ending auctions and the price development, I was very skeptical with my limited budget, in the end I only had a few increases left , when the opponent suddenly ended it. The previous owner, a collector, also guaranteed the dagger with a certificate of authenticity, which I also received when handing it over in person.
    And finally, the best bonus of this dagger, I got a contact with a decent and straight man, and he, like this dagger, can be for life.

Best regards Rh0-
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA 1933 Service Dagger, SA-Gruppe Westfalen by Carl Eickhorn   SA 1933 Service Dagger, SA-Gruppe Westfalen by Carl Eickhorn  

SA 1933 Service Dagger, SA-Gruppe Westfalen by Carl Eickhorn   SA 1933 Service Dagger, SA-Gruppe Westfalen by Carl Eickhorn  

SA 1933 Service Dagger, SA-Gruppe Westfalen by Carl Eickhorn   SA 1933 Service Dagger, SA-Gruppe Westfalen by Carl Eickhorn  

SA 1933 Service Dagger, SA-Gruppe Westfalen by Carl Eickhorn  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA 1933 Service Dagger, SA-Gruppe Westfalen by Carl Eickhorn
    P
    Many

Unfortunately, your new dagger is a parts dagger. Whatever "certificate of authenticity" you received, I would use it to light my next campfire...

For the uneducated, such as myself, could you please explain how you know it's a parts dagger. I'm considering getting back into collecting third Reich daggers. Your information could be very beneficial to someone like me.

Many Thanks!

JustMeinKC

Gerry C

The scabbard is a later plated and painted version mated to an early dagger with solid nickel guards.

Whoever wrote the description of this dagger doesn't know squat about SA daggers... "nickel plated, magnetic steel blade with a sharpened tip and edges." What BS.

Mr Skyline is correct ...and I will add that emedals described the dagger exactly what was in front of the person who writes those descriptions.
    What emedals failed to point out or they too may be uneducated in SA daggers ..is that the scabbard is late production type married to an early material type SA dagger.

Also Emedals failed to point out the obvious invoking the "Passover" and passing right over the fact about the condition of the blade having age grey and pitting.

Ok....so what I do see as correct is the dagger itself being the early type and also having Eickhorn details including the correct SA gruppe designation " Wf "
    The scabbard also authentic but later production period by about 4 years +.

When I picked up my first SA dagger which was an Ernst Pack...the dagger was early with correct Pack details ...but also had a late scabbard married to it. I paid $90 US for it at a flea market in 1980. I didnt know any different until I started reading Wittmanns paper catalogs 10 years later when he had them printed at the same commercial printer I worked at.
    I got an education and I was fortunate enough to have found an early scabbard that matched the fit of the lower guard which is very difficult to find for those who know Pack lower guards are almost straight across. I still have that dagger to this day .

Long story short ...sometimes first times are the hardest learning experience and also the best ..that will sharpen you for the next time.
    These forums are here for a reason..never buy anything without getting it checked out first here.
    No one buys a car and not test drive it.

Certificate of Authentication - " COA" are as valuable as the paper they are written on.
    The COA on the dagger posted above is correct but they left out some extra wording which should of said " Authentic Mismatched Eickhorn dagger "

So RHo ....for now and just like myself when I first started collecting ...we both have had mismatched SA daggers...Mine has been corrected. But now let this not be a total loss but a learning curve for the next time ....whatever it is that you are not sure of in this Edged weapon hobby or any Militaria artifact ...we have a full community of seasoned collectors who have been down the same road as you.

Hopefully you got a good deal on this dagger.
    Come here first and post photos for the next time before pulling the trigger .

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thank you so much for every comment, I really appreciate your experience. I have to say I came in today worried about what I was going to find out, after opening the thread and reading the first comment from SkylineDrive I got a bit of a shock, but in the end I'm okay with it. I take it as it is, of course I understand what the word complete means, so perhaps it will be another piece, it is true that this piece completely disarmed me with the patina of the blade and the fitting of the handle parts, and the insertion of the eagle and lens, the scabbard was relegated to the background, that's why I he didn't have a problem with a cracked eye (the same pincer bite marks).

Thanks to everyone who responded in regard to my question over authenticity of SA daggers. It was much appreciated.

JustMeinKC

Gerry C