Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SA Dagger (Fake or Real)??

Article about: All, Here are some photos of a dagger I got off of a local antique dealer. It appears to be real.. but I am not sure if it is fake? The only thing that worries me is the tip on the end of th

?

Default SA Dagger (Fake or Real)??

All,

Here are some photos of a dagger I got off of a local antique dealer. It appears to be real.. but I am not sure if it is fake? The only thing that worries me is the tip on the end of the scabbard and it has separated and split, were they just cheap with manufacturing of that part then or is it possibly a fake. I know there are many talented people on this board that might be able to tell.. I'm leaning on fake... but I am not entirely sure.. The blade does have the the vertical crossmarks it appears. I have done a magnet test and none of the crossbars are magnetc, they appear to be completely nickle. The eagle showed some sign of magnetism but I am not entirely sure if that is accurate for this dagger. At any rate I thought you folks could look at it. I know your awaiting for more photos on my SS dagger. I will get those up soon. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

SA Dagger (Fake or Real)??SA Dagger (Fake or Real)??SA Dagger (Fake or Real)??SA Dagger (Fake or Real)??SA Dagger (Fake or Real)??
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Dagger (Fake or Real)??   SA Dagger (Fake or Real)??  

SA Dagger (Fake or Real)??   SA Dagger (Fake or Real)??  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Dagger (Fake or Real)??
    P
    Many

Mismatched dagger .....scabbard is late period and dagger itself is early with correct gruppe mark for Hochland.
    Amazing to see a ton of laquer on the grip..something we mainly see with the Aesculap producer.

Hanger is early.
    Josef Wolf is a rare producer.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Larry once again thank you for your insight. Yeah it did seem mismatched to me with the scabbard. The story goes from the antique dealer who has been doing this about 47 years picked it up at a former Vet yard sale. Perhaps he purchased it there with the mismatched scabbard or didn't have one and later added one. It seems like a legitimate story. I did notice the hangar did seem earlier as well. I am still new to this all of collection.

That grip is just beautiful.

It is hard to tell when and why this scabbard came together with this dagger. Did veteran change that scabbard because he think it looks nicer with black one, perhaps dealer added this scabbard?
    Also it may be that SA man joined to NSKK and he don't want buy fully new dagger, so he choose to buy only black scabbard.

But anyhow, this dagger did not leave from factory like that.
    -TJ-

?

Come to think about it... The guy at the antique place said it was an NSKK dagger... so would that explain the black scabbard? Sorry it just came to mind later on... been in a fog lately.. :P

Its possible but no proof that the SA Mann who transferred into the NSKK bought his scabbard at a retail outlet when the order came down in 1936.
    Some guys short on cash just painted it themselves.

Cant say for sure that this scabbard does or does not belong to this dagger?
    or was it married together recently.

No worries Matthew

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Hello Aplmak,

I agree with all of the above. I might like to add a couple of minor points. This dagger has no SA stamps on the lower crossguard, which could be because it was issued as an NSKK dagger. Many times there are no stamps on the lower crossguard in NSKK issues.

The Eagle may show some signs of being magnetic because some of them, fairly rare, came with magnetic metal pins for mounting instead of the usual flat tabs. I may have one of these type eagles in my pile, I will look and see. If I have one I will post a photo of it shortly.

Nice Rare maker on the Blade.

SAmann

Quote by SAMann View Post
    This dagger has no SA stamps on the lower crossguard...
    Actually there is Ho what Larry mentioned "correct gruppe mark for Hochland".
    If you look closely to viewers right, it is there
    -TJ-

?

OOPs, Finngaill, My Bad. Sorry for the error. I missed the stamp due to the really odd placement. Well, I found one of the eagles I was talking about, but, it turns out that it is NOT magnetic as I thought. If your eagle is showing some magnetism. I think it is probably because your magnet is strong enough to "feel" the blade tang through the grip wood.

Oh, Well

SAmann

?

Thanks guys for all the feedback!!! I really appreciate it. Yes my magnet is very strong.. so I figured perhaps it is detecting the other metal.. It's not clinging to it as if the eagle is magnetic but it feels a slight magnetism perhaps because it is going through the wood. Like I said the antique dealer said to me which I neglected to mention early on that it was an NSKK dagger.. but I am not sure what his experience or expertise is. I more than likely will bring it to the show coming up along with my other objects to perhaps get some professional opinions. But you guys are great I really appreciate everything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast