Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SA Dagger I Purchased

Article about: Morning All! Same story as the SS dagger I posted in the relevant forum last week; This is the first SA dagger I have purchased, also from the same dealer as I got the SS dagger from. Being

Default SA Dagger I Purchased

Morning All!

Same story as the SS dagger I posted in the relevant forum last week; This is the first SA dagger I have purchased, also from the same dealer as I got the SS dagger from.

Being a relative newbie into this hobby, I wish I had known about the existence of these forums before I purchased so I could have done some due diligence for some of the items I got (like the 12 Year SS Service Medal which is not legit), but I don't blame the dealer as he is more of a jack of all trades antiquities dealer than a WW2 era specific....it's just going to make me more cautious going forward about purchasing "big" items from someone without doing some digging first...though I would imagine we all have a story or two like that when we were starting out.

The daggers I believe are all legit, though as was pointed out in the one around the SS dagger, they had been reworked at some point in the past to make them more "desirable", though I'm not sure at what point in time between 1945 and the present that would have occurred as I don't feel like the dealer (whom my partner and I have talked to a fair bit over the years) would have been the responsible party.

Anyway, here are some photos of it; Comments and feedback welcome!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Dagger I Purchased   SA Dagger I Purchased  

SA Dagger I Purchased   SA Dagger I Purchased  

SA Dagger I Purchased   SA Dagger I Purchased  

SA Dagger I Purchased  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Dagger I Purchased
    P
    Many

?

I believe that is original Emil Voos. Scabbard has been repainted. Cross guards look like Nicole plated showing some age. Blade looks nice and shows cross grain.

Reference the dealer I would not give him to big of a pass unless he is more of a Friend then a dealer. A dealer should be checking authentication of items before selling. Unfortunately some do not. Also if the sell a fake they should refund. If not my business goes elsewhere.

If I ever sold one of my items and it turned out fake I would refund. I'm just a collector. Dealers should be held to same or higher standard.

Just my thoughts
    Tim

The way I look at the repainting (as the scabbard of the SS dagger was remarked on it looked painted as well but when and by whom would be the question I doubt could be answered) is the way I look at restoration for comic books; Unless you really know what you're looking for in many instances, you wont necessarily see it...especially if you aren't experienced in what to look for...the dealer my husband and I have purchased these items from is more of a "jack of all trades" dealer in antiques rather than specializing in military or WW2 specifically...were that the case, I would be irked....but neither of us have gotten the impression he is trying to scam anyone (and my husband is very good at reading people and their intent).

Most of the items were purchased 1-2 years ago (the SS 12 Year Service award I came to the conclusion isn't legit), so any "inspection period" on my part has passed...and I'm sure all of us have a story when we were starting out where we wish we had done more due diligence before making a purchase.

The items that I have determined to be not legit (could be wrong, but it's based on observations here and elsewhere) are still interesting presentation pieces, even if their value as a collector or historical standpoint is minimal.

The dagger looks correct with a repainted scabbard, as already noted, in fair condition. I hope the price is not correct though. Not worth near that IMHO. I would not be a buyer at more than $500 US but I am cheap.
    John

The price was likely close to correct, though the dealer usually knocked a chunk off for us as we have bought a number of items from him over the years...i don't mind paying a bit more for something I can look at in hand as the availability of items like this where I'm at is almost non-existent...but the next time I find one, I will have the benefit of the knowledge I've picked up form people here.

?

David,

As noted, an original Emil Voos RZM era SA dagger. The scabbard would have been factory painted and I don't see any sign that it is a repaint. Tim, can you tell us what makes you think it is repainted ?

The scabbard fittings look like nickel silver and the guards might be too. Some of the early RZM daggers had those as supplies were used up.

Blade looks good too.

Dave

?

I believe I can see the outline of repaint next to upper and lower scabbard fittings. Photos are pretty dark for me though. I could not tell if fittings were nickles or not.

Tim

?

Tim,

I saw that around the upper fitting and the point of the lower fitting. I saw it as the thin line of crud that often accumulates close to the fittings. Otherwise, the paint has the duller look of original paint plus some age marks.

The fittings look like dull nickel silver rather than tarnished plated steel ... but that's from the photos.

Maybe David will take it apart.

?

Ya could be crud. The lower fitting concerned me more as it almost looks like over paint gob just above but also could be the light. Pictures are not the best. Even if paint touched up could certainly still be period. Looking at the guards again I agree nickle fittings with patina.

Overall I think it's a good collectable Voos with a very nice blade and patina.

Upfront - confessing to some image enhancing (something that sometimes causes some dealers/others to go "ballistic'"). From what I'm seeing the scabbard has been painted over [?} and to me looks postwar. Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Dagger I Purchased  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast