Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

SA dagger opinions

Article about: First does it look good?If so what cond. would you guys give on a scale of 1-10.It has some in and out marks on blade,grip is ex and scabbard nice.I am thinking a 5,any opinions appreciated.

Default SA dagger opinions

First does it look good?If so what cond. would you guys give on a scale of 1-10.It has some in and out marks on blade,grip is ex and scabbard nice.I am thinking a 5,any opinions appreciated.Sorry for the dark pics.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA dagger opinions   SA dagger opinions  

SA dagger opinions   SA dagger opinions  

SA dagger opinions  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA dagger opinions
    P
    Many

Overall it looks good SA by Friedrich Herder A.S. Crossguards and grip fit is nice and tight, crossgrain is decent looking. But someone changed that grip eagle at some point.

Also it looks like those pictures is not all from same dagger. Note that position of motto.

SA dagger opinions SA dagger opinions

I agree also a decent Late SA dagger.
    I did a side by side comparison on the photos and do believe its the lighting and the angle of the photos that are giving an effect that the logo is misplaced. Persoanlly I do not see any issues with it...but I am open to thoughts if Fingaill sees something I do not....Im sure He will explain.

As far as rarity ...I could not answer unless there are those who collect RZM daggers by rarity which there is no scale for. Only early SA daggers has a rarity list.

RZM license was issued on October 31 1935 and retained it until production ceased around 1941 - 42

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Now when you Larry mentioned that, it's sure start to look like that angle and lighting do optical illusion ( I did test with mine own dagger ). So here we can see again how importand it is to get good and high resolution photos. Rest of the photos is good ones, exepect those where can see tip of the blade and full dagger.

But anyhow, it is decent SA with changed grip eagle. Also for rarity I cannot say.

Thanks guys,appreciate it!Yeah I see what you mean about the grip eagle,who would have done it?Dagger is a vet bringback,dont think the vet would or could have done it.Maybe wartime done?Here are pics in natural light but dark as its cloudy here.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA dagger opinions   SA dagger opinions  

I did some digital enhancements and it's very clear that somebody messed around with the grip eagle. Also getting the same sense as Larry that otherwise it seems to be a reasonably decent later dagger. Best Regards, Fred

Thanks Fred!The close up pics are telling of a sloppy fit or something else, is the eagle correct for the dagger?Have had this a long time,never noticed it ,but I am not really a dagger collector,the rest of it seems unmessed with.

Grip eagle was replaced TC.

No dagger left the producer in that condition.
    Someone pried out the prior and replaced it with what appears to be early nickel.
    Thankyou for the extra photos which are always a great help and sometimes news that may be unfortunate.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

When TC says it's a veteran bring back, it could well be and relate to the immediate post war period with occupation troops. De-Nazification happened pretty quickly after the war ended and may have been done by the family of the original owner or some officious Allied officer. The Allied troops were of course all on the look out for souvenirs to claim or later buy from willing sellers to take home.

Thanks guys!Yeah Anderson that makes sense,the grip is perfect with no damage so there was some reason the eagle was removed and replaced other than that.
    Last edited by Toecutter; 11-12-2020 at 01:22 AM.