Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SA dagger with yellow substance. Dried Preservative?

Article about: Thanks for all the quick replies! I tried using my finger nail on the blade, cross guard and scabbard fittings. It worked on the cross guard and scabbard but not so much on the blade. There

Default SA dagger with yellow substance. Dried Preservative?

I just acquired this dagger and it has this dried yellowish substance all over it. It almost looks like old dried preservative to me. What do you think it may be and do I need to get it off the item? Thanks for any help or info provided.

SA dagger with yellow substance. Dried Preservative?SA dagger with yellow substance. Dried Preservative?SA dagger with yellow substance. Dried Preservative?SA dagger with yellow substance. Dried Preservative?SA dagger with yellow substance. Dried Preservative?SA dagger with yellow substance. Dried Preservative?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA dagger with yellow substance. Dried Preservative?
    P
    Many

Saw a same thing on a K98 bayo today at a military flea market. IMO yes, preservative.

Looks like some kind of varnish or laquer.

Try Acetone on the blade. If that is sucessful you can try on other parts. But you need to be very careful around the grip and the scabbard paint. Use a cotton wool bad and work carefully.

Other than that, a nice RZM era dagger.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Gnarly welcome to the forum.....I would like to say you have a decent example of a good maker who made late type daggers. RZM7/13 is Arthur Schuttlehoffer. As far as the dried residue on the crossguards and blade it looks like someone laquered the whole dagger to preserve it. All i can say at the moment are you able to scrape it with your finger nail. I ask this to see how easy it is removed. Some other of our SA collectors and blade enthusiasts will be along shortly. not sure to leave it as it is or not. Im curious though if the finger nail idea will work first! Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Welcome to the world of cosmoline gents. Thats what it appears to be to me! It is a Russian gel like substance used to keep rust from appearing on guns that are put in storage. If it is not cosmoline, it appears to be some equivalent of it. I know a few ways of getting it off, but considering we do not wish to damage the dagger with rust or any other harmful substances, I will have to think of the best way to remove it. (there are quite a few methods)

Ive seen this before.

If you take it off with fluids and wipes you may leave the fittings looking over shiny which will go against the value when you come to sell it.

If its hard to get off id be tempted to leave it on as its doing no harm.

?

The best way I could think, and I believe you should wait for other replies before going about this, would be to use a blow dryer to get it hot (if it is cosmoline). It should then start to become a liquid that you can then just simply wipe most of it off

If it is cosmoline, a hair dryer will indeed work. It just looks a bit thin to be cosomline to me?
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

As this dagger has plated fittings i would proceed with much caution !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Looks like some kind of varnish or laquer.

Try Acetone on the blade. If that is sucessful you can try on other parts. But you need to be very careful around the grip and the scabbard paint. Use a cotton wool bad and work carefully.

Other than that, a nice RZM era dagger.

Cheers, Ade.
    I would agree, looks like a light coat of clear laquer.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast