Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SA Dienstdolch F. Herder for review

Article about: Hi guys, Looking for some extra opinions on the Herder SA dagger. The ball is messed up but otherwise it looks decent to me. My worries are the SA enamel button and the eagle in the grip. Lo

?

Default SA Dienstdolch F. Herder for review

Hi guys,

Looking for some extra opinions on the Herder SA dagger.
    The ball is messed up but otherwise it looks decent to me.
    My worries are the SA enamel button and the eagle in the grip.
    Looking forward to some eagle eyed responses. Thank you

SA Dienstdolch F. Herder for reviewSA Dienstdolch F. Herder for review
    SA Dienstdolch F. Herder for reviewSA Dienstdolch F. Herder for review

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Dienstdolch F. Herder for review
    P
    Many

Grip eagle has been replaced. Also it looks like front of the grip has been painted on the post war, as well as a scabbard
    -TJ-

?

Good Morning TJ, thank you for the comment. The front grip has a varnish which the back does not indeed, bit strange. I will ask for some more pictures but probably it is best to let this one slide.

One looker messed with

The grip eagle area shows glaring trauma and I would not even give it a 2nd look or even pick it up off the table.
    Scabbard fittings over cleaned as well.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thank you for the honest feedback Larry. I appreciate it.

?

Received Ralf Siegert's book "The Service daggers of the SA and the NSKK" just now. It's high time to expand the knowledge about daggers a bit more.

Yes, it is best to skip this one.

It is good book, I just hope Mr. Wittmann will write his book of the SA dagger at one day.
    -TJ-

?

Yes, Finngaill, me too

Also:

The blade was badly rusted at on time and has been sharpened

The scabbard is from the later RZM era - it is painted and has big domehead screws

This dagger was in poor condition before being fixed up. You should consider waiting for one in better condition

Dave

I highly doubt that Tom will release his SA Reference as it was destined to be 2 massive references ...yet not enough time and a large undertaking would not afford him to complete it.
    He did amass enough period documentation, photos and photos of these daggers that many have contributed to this reference.

In turn that information and material that was gathered ...most of which can be seen in his 3 SA seminar videos pinned in this section.

Max Show SA Dagger Seminar 2015 - Parts 1 , 2 & 3

I would encourage watching these videos which will give the new collector a great direction to proceed in to learning about the Organization and the dagger.

Ralf Siegerts SA book is a very good photographic reference ...but the real nuts bolts and guts of the topic can begin in the videos he posted.
    Its a good start...I was quite hopeful myself back in 2006 when he announced of an upcoming SA reference. Times have changed for reasons that only have meaning for Tom and the decision he made not to pursue it.

The videos are his work in a nutshell ...yet a reference just like a book will have more intricate detail and is why many of us have personal libraries we can refer to. Movies and videos can only scratch the surface compared to an indepth study that is written.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

What a terrible dagger you show here Vocht, by all means you should now better by now lots of material here to compare!

Compare your "dagger" with one i owned in the days, then you see what a Herder should look like!

Early SA Dienstdolch by F. Herder A.S. a Minty textbook example (warrelics.eu)

Cheers
    Ger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast