Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SA Ground Rohm for review

Article about: Hello everyone, I just picked up this SA dagger from the son of the vet who brought it back. It looks like a well done ground Rohm but I would appreciate any thoughts on this dagger, Thanks!

Default SA Ground Rohm for review

Hello everyone, I just picked up this SA dagger from the son of the vet who brought it back. It looks like a well done ground Rohm but I would appreciate any thoughts on this dagger, Thanks!

SA Ground Rohm for reviewSA Ground Rohm for reviewSA Ground Rohm for reviewSA Ground Rohm for reviewSA Ground Rohm for review

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Ground Rohm for review
    P
    Many

?

Hello. I don't believe this dagger is from a veteran's son. I think it has been polished and very well prepared for sale in an attempt to disguise the incorrect details. Take good photos of the eagle, of the SA emblem and turn the photo of the motto over so that the details of the dagger can be more easily determined. This is just my opinion. Wait for an opinion from more experienced forum members.
    Georgi.

Hello! Thanks for the response, here are the pics, let me know if
    You see anything that stands out. The blade looks slightly shinier in pictures than it does in person but it is relatively clean. Could it just be a minty blade? Also the fittings are really really good which would lead me to believe it isn’t a parts dagger???
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Ground Rohm for review   SA Ground Rohm for review  

SA Ground Rohm for review   SA Ground Rohm for review  

?

I see some differences but I'm not sure. These daggers are handmade and there may be differences. Better to see other opinions.

Georgi.

Thanks again, what differences do you see? I’m trying to learn as much as I can…

Since the lower crossguard is on backwards which tells me ..this dagger may have been opened at one time....and I would be curious of the foundry marks inside both crossguards.
    That will explain much if these guards belong or not.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi Larry, I appreciate the response… I’m really trying to make sure this one is good to go as I’ve been in the market for an SA for a while and really appreciate the knowledge here. The pommel nut was hand tight and it came out easily, I’ll add a photo of the guards. The shop I bought it from are very keen and are good guys, they do returns and told me that they got it from the vet’s son who walked in with it… maybe the vet had opened it up back in the day? The parts also seem to be cleaned, not overly polished or anything but they are brighter than most… I’ll include that picture and wait for your response!

The guards were dirty underneath, I hope you can still make it out!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Ground Rohm for review   SA Ground Rohm for review  

This is a better picture of the smaller cross guard
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Ground Rohm for review  

Hello Orange..thankyou for your patience and also the extra photos as well..they are very helpful and also for the database here for future research.

The Lower guard is marked a "G" within a square which which has been only observed on Hugo Linder SA daggers ..aka Deltawerk.
    the Upper guard appears to be Ernst Pack which no other foundry mark has that same circle.
    Typically the Ernst Pack foundry mark has the letter "S" within a Horse shoe character.

Most commonly seen the grip is a typical Ernst Pack showing small grain on a fruitwood type grip...this is correct for this producer .
    I have seen other wood types being used on Pack Daggers but commonly is the fruitwood type.

The blade has been horribly cleaned and over buffed ...all crossgrain is completely gone.
    The Gruppe mark "Fr" Franken is correct for Pack...but that crossguard is on backwards on the Dagger...makes me think it doesnt belong and is why I asked to see the internal markings.

Everything is early and Authentic fittings..the lower guard is the only issue that I see being not a Pack produced guard.
    Still a decent piece of history if you can get it for a decent price.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Hi Larry, Before writing my opinion I compared four correct examples of E.P. with this one. The motto of all had several characteristic differences with this dagger. I am attaching a photo of a confirmed correct motto. The TANG marking is not visible from the photos shown. The dagger is disassembled and this marking can also be seen. The manufacturer's logo is usually partially destroyed on the GROUND ROHM DAGGER. Here it appears to have been placed after the blade was scraped. The eagle also looks different from the examples I've looked at. However, Ernst PACK produced many such daggers and there may be differences. These are the arguments on which my opinion is based, but my experience with these daggers is very short.
    Regards Georgi.SA Ground Rohm for review

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast