Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The Dangers of Battlefield Digging

Article about: We've all heard stories of the dangers of battlefield digging. Unexploded ammo, mines, etc.... As a relatively new enthusiast, i would greatly appreciate some advice on detecting and digging

Default Re: The Dangers of Battlefield Digging

Thanks Steve.

Ive given that a good read and its very very informative.
    thanks for pointing that out.

Some excellent advice here... particularly from Steve! His advice helped me in a similar situation just 2 days ago!!

There's nothing more I can really add, just be careful and dig EVERY hole with caution! If there's anything your unsure of, leave well alone!!! Mark the location clearly and notify the authoritys.

This is the best hobby in the world, but I wouldn't risk my life for anything I'm unsure of!

Take care buddy!

thanks again chaps.

thanks for your advice guys - I have returned safely.

Quote by military View Post
    thanks for your advice guys - I have returned safely.
    Well done buddy..... so come on..... lets see all those finds!!!

Lee

i was searching lately in the wood, and there was an thick layer of leafs. i got an verry good signal and i kicked away the leafs. while i did that i say an 2'' mortor flying trew the air.

it was left behind by an other searcher just under the leafs.

i had the luck that the ''remove before fireing'' cap was still on it.

it was an HE.

So if you leave an grenade behind.
    1: dig next to it an hole +/- 1-2 meter deep.
    2: place carefull the grenade in it.
    3: place some stones on it (so the next digger dont hit is directly with an shovel.)
    4: burry it an mark it for the police.

?

I usually discriminate iron because I am only in interested in badges,buttons,coins, etc. So if i find something that sounds like big and made of iron, I don't even bother to dig. This is already a good discrimination for dangerous things and in fact in 4 years I met very few if none.
    I don't dig on first line /front areas. There are too many shrapnels,grenade bits and garbage.I prefer 2nd line or 3rd line where soldiers rest, eat or were cured. There you can find more things they discarded or left behind. I also look for training camps, barracks, etc.
    I had very few bad encounters, usually left behind by other uneducated diggers and the best you can do is do not touch and report them.
    Of course a general knowledge of EOD is important, especially if you know where you are digging. On local forums I read every day of people doing stupid things just because they have no clue of what they are handling or bringing home. Here every year there are incidents, 99% trying to open/deactivate live stuff and 100% caused by ignorance.

wow, this all sounds great, I am very new to this, but i have wanted to get involved in this for some time now... does anyone live within easy travelling distance that I could accompany and help out for a day to see what its like, I dont mind not keeping anything, just want to see what its all like. Best regards, Dan

Exclamation Re: The Dangers of Battlefield Digging

I have seen some videos on YouTube of Russian diggers who are literally pounding on wrenches with hammers to remove time-frozen fuses from live German 8cm motar rounds...

There must be a large number of diggers blown to bits every year doing this incredibly stupid stuff... it seems that they also like to burn the propellant rods removed from large calibre artillary rounds....

ian
    ?

you know guys its not just diggers that do stupid things. Every November 5th we used to start our bonfires with a 120mm bag charge from a chieftain tank ,, how daft was that ???? funny how slow cordite burns when its out in the open we just lit the primmer pad with a match too much beer involved, daft as brushes, strangely no one ever got hurt and i have a large burn on my left leg from a phoss grenade burnt right through my jungle boot, but that was many years aggo

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast