Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Detecting tips for battlefield detecting

Article about: Dig,dig and dig, every signal. Keep noticing which signals you get and before you know it you ll have an idea what might lay under the soil. I am deeply impressed when I see my russian and l

Default Detecting tips for battlefield detecting

Dear All,

Recently I was able to tryout battlefield detecting near Sankt-Petersburg where the front was located for almost 900 days. It was very interesting but I was really struggling because of the amount of unwanted finds like empty shells, bullets, grenade splinters, communication cables, nails, bunker parts and fittings etc. The detector just goes crazy all the time.

Detecting tips for battlefield detecting

The earth is just full of these type of items because of the fierce and long fighting that was going on there.

So I would like to learn to be more selective when detecting in those type of areas. I tried to lower the sensitivity and played with the options menu to filter smaller items, but it was not really helping (or at least not fully). I have one of the latest mini-lab detectors.

Will be great learn from more experiences colleagues. Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Evgeni

I don't think you can filter out the copper/brass casings, they give a hell of a signal! But if you dugg up a few, you know what VDI number they come up as on your Lab, and not dig them. On my Whites they come up as a 24 or a 36 on the VDI, but it could also be antoher item made of brass.
    I have the same problem here with lead scrapnel balls, they are all over the place driving the detectors mad. I wouldn't go for lowering the sensitivity, because you will be missing out the stuff you want to find. If I came across an area littered with only casings I would change spot rather than change the settings of the detector. But on the other hand I saw fired K98 casings sell for 3 euros a piece last month! So now I keep the nice undamaged examples too.

you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Don't wear steel toe capped boots....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Haha

You just have to get used to your machine I'm afraid as FB says, as there is no way of setting the discrim to ignore brass. Just be aware you could, if you ignore the tones for cartridges, miss other stuff like nose fuzes and even some badges. Just a risk you may have to take if you don't want the cartridges I'm afraid.......

I guess i should still do it the hard way

mpw
    ?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Don't wear steel toe capped boots....
    Your right there! When I was 16 and bought my first detector I made the mistake of wearing steel toe cap (rubber ) wellington boots. Drove me mad!

?

Dig everything.

It is impossible to filter out the different items in the ground when searching for militaria. To find the good stuff you must be prepared to dig 99% bad/less interesting items, to get the ones you want.

Get ready to sweat Sir!

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast