Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Digging German fields

Article about: Has anyone got any tips on getting permission to dig on German farmland? I’m based in Berlin and would like to try searching some fields but not sure how to find the landowners. Do you sim

?

Default Digging German fields

Has anyone got any tips on getting permission to dig on German farmland? I’m based in Berlin and would like to try searching some fields but not sure how to find the landowners. Do you simply wait to notice someone working there and ask them? Also, what are the best times of year to i.e. when are crops harvested? Thanks

Personally I’d go to the closest farm and ask politely if the field you want to explore is theirs, if so tell them what you would like to do. If they are ok with it, ask if they want anything for going onto their land.

Years ago me and my dad would give the farmer a small bottle of whiskey to detect and anything we found could be kept (we didn’t find much).

Just be friendly and polite, the landowner will tell you what you can and can’t do, or where you can or can’t go on their land.

I used the same technique for doing Archaeological field work for my dissertation and it worked.

Also, assure them you will keep what you are doing quiet and you won’t tell other people where you find things, because farmers don’t like people walking around their land without permission!

Edit - Make sure it is legal to dig in that area too!

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Willmore; 01-25-2021 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Added information

You might try contacting local metal detecting groups or Facebook? Detecting tends to be easier outside of the Summer to avoid peak times when undergrowth is thick, depending on whether its woods or fields. No harm in asking farmers but you do need a licence to detect.

mpw
    ?

...... and insurance, farms are a working environment and being there isn't without risk. Something a lot of folk overlook when going onto private land. Good luck.

Oh and the law. Make sure you do not break the quite strict German laws on war like items!

?

And don't pick any explosives. Also do not forget to post pictures here when you find anything.