Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Found this Nov 8 2017 Passchendeale

Article about: Well I have been away from the forum for a long time, 2 computers have crashed ect, just getting back to some sites I have permission to hunt (eyeball) a few fields a farmer owns very close

?

Default Found this Nov 8 2017 Passchendeale

Well I have been away from the forum for a long time, 2 computers have crashed ect, just getting back to some sites
    I have permission to hunt (eyeball) a few fields a farmer owns very close to the Town of Passendeale, I was there last year for the 100th Anny of the Canadian Troops taing that town and did the torch walk among man other things for the 2 weeks I was there and in the NL

I saw a small "bright" red ball in the field a different red than the shrapnel that you see, so I pulled it out and this is what I found, I cleaned it up a bit and fit itinto my hardcase luggage, I have had an Oak display case built for it and will get into it soon

Found this Nov 8 2017 PasschendealeFound this Nov 8 2017 PasschendealeFound this Nov 8 2017 PasschendealeFound this Nov 8 2017 Passchendeale

?

Forgot to mention, the bolt is closed, the mag is empty, and the trigger is frozen in the fired position, that means the last round he had was fired, and the casing is still in the breach empty, I am sure that the bend in the barrel is due to the action of the ground and fertilizer used as well as the cold and heat getting to it over the years and not due to battle damage as most think, I have seen many rifles found on farmers fields when traveling in France and Belgium

MAP
    ?

Welcome back!!!

Great find and details. Makes you wonder what happened
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

A tractor passing over that field in later years could have given the barrel that nice curve.

No comment from the X ray man at the airport?

Great war krummerlauf

?

No Problems at the airport, I also have a dug K98 that was diven to me in the NL, No the barrel was not bent due to being hit by a plough, you would see the ding in it, this is a very smooth curve

No I mean a tractor with a big rubber tire ran over it, not talking about a plough. A tractor tire with the weight of a tractor could leave that curve with wet soft soil. I've driven over a few things in my time with a farm tractor.