Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Magnet fishing

Article about: Hi Fancied trying out some magnet fishing but where to start??? Lots of battle sites here in Eastern Germany but also lots of rivers and lakes in the middle of these sites. Any suggestions o

I dare not watch the video if this clown pulling a live shell out of the water, bashing it about the ironwork of the bridge. I'd laugh but this isn't a laughing matter. He's a Darwin award candidate for sure.

There's another video of that same guy also finding a gun near where he found the 75mm shell... but then when him and his buddy are checking it out, they point it in the direction of a kid.

Magnet fishing

[QUOTE=sweersz;2162690]There's another video of that same guy also finding a gun near where he found the 75mm shell... but then when him and his buddy are checking it out, they point it in the direction of a kid.

Same kid I believe. He must not be very popular as they seem intent on "losing him" even at risk to themselves

That gun looks like it might not have been in the water that long and is most probably viable

The local PD will be interested I should think as I can not imagine ANY innocent reason for it being in the river

If it has been used in a shooting incident (good reason for it to be in the river) forensic examination (not only ballistics) would likely tie it to a scene. I hope he is public spirited enough to turn it in!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    That gun looks like it might not have been in the water that long and is most probably viable
    I expect he stuck his finger up the muzzle to see if it was safe, or blew down it cowboy style.

I have stolen this line from Vegetius post:

What I can state is that I would NOT go magnet fishing and consider it far to dangerous.

I totally agree with this statement. I hope anyone reading this thread takes heed and does not ever consider trying this. It is beyond stupid.. I do wish to see the forum encouraging or condoning such actions.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

MAP
    ?

Quote by vegetius View Post
    The man is not even useful as an organ donar as a 75mm at that range is not going to leave anything of him that is usable! MAP, the 'did not move it too much' comment just proves the mental pygmies understanding. Any movement of an item of ammunition can be too much. It is possible to learn what can and can't be moved and given a couple of decades in the job with good instruction from professional sources it is achievable.

RLeonard, you are quite right with the self appointed 'Experts'. I have spent over 40 years dealing with these items and now consider myself as an expert, however I realise that I do not know everything and still treat everything with the same caution and respect.

The thoughts of myself and colleagues regarding magnet fishing have been covered before. Unfortunately over the last 100 years or so water has been used as a dumping ground for a huge amount of rubbish some of which is unwanted munitions or souvenirs.

What I can state is that I would NOT go magnet fishing and consider it far to dangerous. My advice to anyone is the same, it's only based on 42 years of experience after all, that and the fact I hate picking up the bits of people or having to use a paint scraper to get them off a wall. It really ruins my day, (let alone that of the Darwin Award Winner who committed the act).
    Yes. I wasn't trying to be cavalier with my comment but to really highlight the dangers. The guy scratching, poking, flipping, tapping, and I think in one scene he even put in on the ground point "down". While we knew the outcome of the video was going to be OK, I still cringed every time he touched it.

It was cool (better said as "proper") that they finally came to their senses and called the authorities. But the "in between" was classic "what not to do".
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thought I'd just jump on the Band Wagon again...
    @vegetius, a "Paint scraper"? How long does that take? Trust me a Fire Truck and a snow shovel are the Minimum requirements.

On a more serious Note: my grandma taught me a lot, including but not limited too...
    Not to wake sleeping dogs!
    Is humanity getting bored of the normal was to dispose of itself? Have too many of us forgotten the ugly side of our Race?
    Whether this lot have forgotten it or not, these pieces of "History" still know what they were designed for.
    There are professonals Worldwide that dedicate their lives to keeping the rest of us safe, do them the honour of not spreading yourself or others thinly over a Bridge or a River bank or even a cornfield If you're a Fan of the other fad with a metal detector!

Teck,

Hear! Hear! Paint scraper takes hours and is not made better in summer! We all do as Scenes of crime say! The use of other emergency services and a snow shovel has been passed up the Chain of Command and when they stop p#ssing their selves may receive some sort of reply.

Your Grandma was a wise woman (your aunt does not do to bad either), she and everyone conducting conflict archaeology on WW1 battlefields where finding ammunition is not a possibility but a certainty know that on discovery of ammunition or anything suspected of being ammunition other than SAA, they stop and ask advice from the EOD. Oddly that one simple rule has ensured that no one has ever been hurt even when finding some properly scary munitions!

To be honest archaeologists are less of a concerns.. they have at least a certain respect for their Work and inform themselves accordingly.
    The Sensation seekers, Grave robbers, and everyone else hoping to get famous or make a quick Buck are the ones I'd like to see banished

---
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast